Curly Hair Tarantula

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
No need to worry about humidity, just keep the sub slightly moist...an occasional overfilling of the water dish will do the trick.

Enclosure looks good enough, not sure what you have in the sub though.

semmy juarez

Arachnopeon
No need to worry about humidity, just keep the sub slightly moist...an occasional overfilling of the water dish will do the trick.

Enclosure looks good enough, not sure what you have in the sub though.
I have a mix of lagarti black and loose coco fiber, and I just threw the substrate it came with it into the enclosure. It’s like woodchips and sum type of dirt idk. The guy at store said it was ok with the sub it had. But I made its enclosure a little like my porteri Ts enclosure. Is this a bad idea?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I have a mix of lagarti black and loose coco fiber, and I just threw the substrate it came with it into the enclosure. It’s like woodchips and sum type of dirt idk. The guy at store said it was ok with the sub it had. But I made its enclosure a little like my porteri Ts enclosure. Is this a bad idea?
In the future, I would avoid the wood chips...everything else is fine.

semmy juarez

Arachnopeon
Ok. Should I take away the metal hide away? And is it ok if I keep a space heater in my room to keep the Ts warm? The thermometer on the enclosure says the walls are like 75 to 80 degrees. Is that ok for both. My gramostola porteri and my curly hair.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Metal can rust, and have sharp edges... so yeah, a cork bark hide would be better and as a plus look more natural.

Those temps are fine.

cold blood

Staff member
Those temps are fine.
True, but they do not need to be that high. In fact, I see absolutely no reason to be using a space heater in August unless you live at the snowy top of a mountain. Space heaters are for winter...lol.

Your porteri can deal with temps to the 50's, and 60's is a fine temp...the albo only requires it slightly warmer. As long as temps are in the upper 60's, the ts will be fine.

B. albopilosum can deal with dry just fine, but tend to prefer an area of damp substrate...humidity isn't a requirement of tarantulas, they cannot get moisture out of the air.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Ok. Should I take away the metal hide away?
I'd replace it with a slab of cork buried at an angle, so that most of the cork is buried with just a starter burrow at the entrance. (She'll excavate the amount of space she wants.)

And is it ok if I keep a space heater in my room to keep the Ts warm? The thermometer on the enclosure says the walls are like 75 to 80 degrees. Is that ok for both.
Those temperatures are fine, but yes, in the winter, you can run a space heater. (Heating the room, rather than placing heat mats on the enclosure, is generally what we recommend, as it's safer for the tarantula.)