1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curly Hair- No Carcasses?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by hisserlover, Dec 5, 2018.

1. hisserlover

hisserlover Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I am new to tarantula keeping and just recently acquired my first. It is a Curly Hair tarantula of unknown age/gender, about 3.5 inches. It is noticeably laid back and eating young hissing cockroaches regularly, every 3-4 days. However, I have noticed a distinct lack of carcasses within its tank. I have seen it grab and bite them, but it usually retreats into its hide after that. Should I be concerned?

2. Minty

Minty Previously mmcg Arachnosupporter

London
    No, sometimes they’re difficult to see and some tarantulas bury them.

Don’t worry about it too much. Take them out when you see them. They might be in the hide.

3. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

tarantulas dont leave carcasses, they leave whats called a bolus....a round ball of undigestable leftovers.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

The refuse - the bolus - is likely small and buried somewhere. No need to worry about it :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnosquire Active Member

Just want to point out that the exoskeleton of hissing cockroaches have been known to break or chip a tarantula's fangs when used as feeder insects for tarantulas. It's harder than that of Dubia or lateralis roaches, which is why it is generally only recommended for the most giant tarantula species, like Theraphosa stirmi, blondi, and apophysis. It certainly doesn't happen all the time, but just the fact that it can happen with this type of food I wanted to mention it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TreebeardGoddess

TreebeardGoddess Arachnosquire

I've had my B. albo for about 9 months (he's about 2.5 inches now) and I've never seen a bolus. Who knows what he does with them. :wacky:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. hisserlover

hisserlover Arachnopeon

Thanks for the tip, but I use the younger ones that don't have very hard shells.

• Like Like x 1