Curly Hair- No Carcasses?

hisserlover

Arachnopeon
I am new to tarantula keeping and just recently acquired my first. It is a Curly Hair tarantula of unknown age/gender, about 3.5 inches. It is noticeably laid back and eating young hissing cockroaches regularly, every 3-4 days. However, I have noticed a distinct lack of carcasses within its tank. I have seen it grab and bite them, but it usually retreats into its hide after that. Should I be concerned?

Minty

@londontarantulas
I am new to tarantula keeping and just recently acquired my first. It is a Curly Hair tarantula of unknown age/gender, about 3.5 inches. It is noticeably laid back and eating young hissing cockroaches regularly, every 3-4 days. However, I have noticed a distinct lack of carcasses within its tank. I have seen it grab and bite them, but it usually retreats into its hide after that. Should I be concerned?
No, sometimes they’re difficult to see and some tarantulas bury them.

Don’t worry about it too much. Take them out when you see them. They might be in the hide.

cold blood

Staff member
tarantulas dont leave carcasses, they leave whats called a bolus....a round ball of undigestable leftovers.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The refuse - the bolus - is likely small and buried somewhere. No need to worry about it :)

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Just want to point out that the exoskeleton of hissing cockroaches have been known to break or chip a tarantula's fangs when used as feeder insects for tarantulas. It's harder than that of Dubia or lateralis roaches, which is why it is generally only recommended for the most giant tarantula species, like Theraphosa stirmi, blondi, and apophysis. It certainly doesn't happen all the time, but just the fact that it can happen with this type of food I wanted to mention it.

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
I've had my B. albo for about 9 months (he's about 2.5 inches now) and I've never seen a bolus. Who knows what he does with them. :wacky:

hisserlover

Arachnopeon
Just want to point out that the exoskeleton of hissing cockroaches have been known to break or chip a tarantula's fangs when used as feeder insects for tarantulas. It's harder than that of Dubia or lateralis roaches, which is why it is generally only recommended for the most giant tarantula species, like Theraphosa stirmi, blondi, and apophysis. It certainly doesn't happen all the time, but just the fact that it can happen with this type of food I wanted to mention it.
Thanks for the tip, but I use the younger ones that don't have very hard shells.