1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curious Question about Molting

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Mychajlo, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    So I just thought of something and I’m sure I’m not the first person to think of this but, tarantula species such as B. Smithi/Hamorii have a darker colored abdomen due to the black hairs and when they are in premolt you can clearly see there new exoskeleton underneath their old skin and I guess the question is the dark shiny abdomen you see in a premolt, does that only occur in tarantula species with naturally dark colored abdomens or does the dark and shiny “premolt abdomen” occur also in species with light colored abdomens such as T. Stirmi and H. Maculata, I hope all that makes sense, thanks guys!!

2. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoangel Active Member

Montreal
    It will occur with all species no matter their base color. It isn't as apparent with some. At times, you won't see the abdomen exo well enough to decipher that it is premolt, doesn't mean it isnt darkening though.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Misty Day

Misty Day Arachnobaron

-

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnopeon

Awesome, I’m just curious because my T. Stirmi has a bald spot on her abdomen and it looks to me like it’s darkening a little bit more towards the top, but she is also still eating, so I’m not completely sure of what to make of it and another side question shooting off the original question, how can you determine if a T is in premolt if they don’t kick Hairs, like a C. Lividum or C. Vonwirthi, I know they’ll usually stop eating and make a web Matt and become lethargic but are there any other signs to look for?

5. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnopeon

I can never tell with my m.balfouri by looking at her abdomen

6. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnopeon

I think this would answer my question :p
    F7766FB8-BBD6-4619-B20B-D82F46850E6C.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  7. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

My A. seemanI in September:
    20170903_050323-1.jpg

November:
    20171110_142251-1.jpg

Two days ago:
    20180117_224635.jpg

She has yet to molt, but as you should be able to tell, she's getting close. So yes, you can tell even in species that aren't black.

Your stirmi is in premolt.

Other signs of premolt are dulling or darkening of coloration, being more reclusive than usual, sometimes being more defensive than usual, sometimes drinking more often, and more difficulty climbing (especially more notable with arboreals)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoangel Active Member

Montreal
    Super clear with Theraphosa, with Hysterocrates, Pelinobius, Poeciletheria and well mostly OW species it can be more difficult to tell. In that case you just need to keep tabs on their behavior.

• Like Like x 1
  9. crone

crone Arachnodemon Active Member

OMG! That poor thing looks 18 months pregnant!

• Like Like x 1