Curious about specific T behaviour

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Hey my juvie b albo is in premolt and she doesn't move much right now but i've noticed that she's kicking hairs at nothing, she just kicks them off while being left alone in the enclosure so it's not defensive or anything. Is this something T's do while in premolt or is she just being weird?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Hey my juvie b albo is in premolt and she doesn't move much right now but i've noticed that she's kicking hairs at nothing, she just kicks them off while being left alone in the enclosure so it's not defensive or anything. Is this something T's do while in premolt or is she just being weird?
It´s pretty normal for them to kick hairs on and around their webbing, moult mats etc. In the wild this offers some level of protection for them while they are in a very fragile state.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Yup, certain species I keep (looking at you T. stirmi) will kick so much that opening the enclosure risks kicking up a cloud of irritating hairs.
Pain.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Yup, certain species I keep (looking at you T. stirmi) will kick so much that opening the enclosure risks kicking up a cloud of irritating hairs.
Pain.
Your right the T.stirmi does kick off a lot of hairs before molting but my T.apophysis kicks off twice as much hair just before molting than my stirmi. It's crazy how much hair is in the enclosure when my girl decides to prepare for a molt.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Your right the T.stirmi does kick off a lot of hairs before molting but my T.apophysis kicks off twice as much hair just before molting than my stirmi. It's crazy how much hair is in the enclosure when my girl decides to prepare for a molt.
Yup, Theraphosa exuviae are absolutely coated with hairs.

Luka98

Arachnosquire
Hahaha, OP is lucky they’re just dealing with B. albo hair.
Yep, still didn't catch a single hair from my t's :D
I'm looking into getting a Nhandu Chromatus or an Acanthoscurria Geniculata right now so that's probably about to change :rofl: