Curiosity: Are Ts bothered by seeing each other?

docwade87

Arachnoknight
I’ve been watching my Ts to see if they seem bothered by each other since I have a decent little collection and they all are on same shelf in reptile room now. I haven’t noticed that they seem to care. However, I know that they see each other especially when they are more active at night and not just sitting out in open during day. Have you noticed your Ts becoming bothered or behaving differently due to them seeing potential threats right next to them?

With my reptiles enclosures that are side by side, I have blackened the side of the enclosure adjoining the other enclosure to keep them from bothering/worrying about each other. So this is what primarily sparked my curiosity.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Their eyes are more light sensors than actual eyes. They can't see each other. They may be able to feel tiny vibrations from other ones moving around, though. Depends on how close together the enclosures are.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Tarantulas have very poor eyesight to begin with and can barely see. So I can't see why they would be bothered seeing each other.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
Their eyes are more light sensors than actual eyes. They can't see each other. They may be able to feel tiny vibrations from other ones moving around, though. Depends on how close together the enclosures are.
Tarantulas have very poor eyesight to begin with and can barely see. So I can't see why they would be bothered seeing each other.
Good points!

I’ve seen some keepers having the enclosures side by side. Mine are about an inch apart. Surely they could detect one another I’d guess. Again haven’t noticed that they seem to care, just curious.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dont belive they are seeing each other at all, but they "smell" each other for sure. Are they bothered? Dunno. I have put diffrent speicies tarantukas in tanks that housed other tarantulas. They never seemed to bother.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
If their enclosures are beside each other, they might think a prey is nearby due to small vibrations when the other one is moving (especially with arboreal enclosures). Other than that, I don't think they would be bother that much.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
If their enclosures are beside each other, they might think a prey is nearby due to small vibrations when the other one is moving (especially with arboreal enclosures). Other than that, I don't think they would be bother that much.
Not true IME. I keep enclosures side by side with no space at all in between sometimes and they react like rocks, which basically means nothing goes on between T.'s and enclosures.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Not true IME. I keep enclosures side by side with no space at all in between sometimes and they react like rocks, which basically means nothing goes on between T.'s and enclosures.
I see, guess I'm wrong. :D
Thought they might be bothered by the vibrations.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
All my enclosures are next to other enclosures -- Ts seem happy and secure. They don't see as much as they feel vibrations or disturbances to their webbing.
My pet rock Ts are sitting topside, the shy ones just stay burrowed until thirsty or mealtime.
And I'd imagine even if you lived near in an area with constant earth/music vibrations or such, they'd adjust.
When my house got a new roof a few years back, I was frantic all my pets would be distressed at such noise -- but the Ts & parrots seemed completely unaffected (actually, the parrots actually enjoyed the drama of it all). My cats just got used to it and napped as usual.
I was needlessly concerned far more than any of my pets were. lol

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
If you want to deepen your understanding of, and appreciation for how your spider(s) "work" when it comes to environmental awareness, do some research into how their setae function. Most keepers limit their appreciation of setae to the defensive urticating types. However, setae are amazingly adapted for several types of sensory abilities. There have been experiments conducted in which blinded spiders have been observed catching prey (even out of the air) without any decrease in efficiency. Truly phenomenal.

Flashback

Arachnosquire
So can T's see people?

Are threat poses & hair flicks just towards the area where they feel or sense vibrations?

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I think they can see light/darkness, but no discernible actual shapes. Maybe more like white/grey blobs. I do know I had a mature male that would drum to a female of the same genus (Grammostola) when next to her. I moved him below her and he didn’t do it as much, much more half hearted.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I have one enclosure that has housed 3 different species (one after the other, not communally); Idiommata sp. Silverback, Phlogius Goliath and Phlogius Strennus. All of them occupied the same burrow and I just pulled the webbing out but none were particularly bothered and setup their home in less than 24 hours. I'd say they don't care much unless another T literally walks over them

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you want to deepen your understanding of, and appreciation for how your spider(s) "work" when it comes to environmental awareness, do some research into how their setae function. Most keepers limit their appreciation of setae to the defensive urticating types. However, setae are amazingly adapted for several types of sensory abilities. There have been experiments conducted in which blinded spiders have been observed catching prey (even out of the air) without any decrease in efficiency. Truly phenomenal.
Nice to know I’m now the only one that reads this too.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So can T's see people?

Are threat poses & hair flicks just towards the area where they feel or sense vibrations?
Some arboreal Ts do seem to react to movement. I’ve owned some P rufilata that have reacted to me moving a distance away- about 5 ft- could see change in light or maybe some vibrations

But same T reacted to my arm moving when I was motionless.

In short some experienced keepers think some arboreals have better sight.