Cruel mama?

TobusRex

Arachnopeon
I think when I have an eggsac that hatches that I'll remove the mama and let the spiderlings "feast" until there is "only one"

Anybody here try that? I figure I'll end up with at least 1 strong spider.

Last edited:

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i dont imagine ppl have tried that, it's just mean.

TobusRex

Arachnopeon
Whats mean about it? Spiders are carnivorous as hell in nature. You know it.

Btw, EXTREMELY COOL how you get IPs and ISPs from a messageboard. Some kind of funky macro? How do you do it?

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's not mean at all, this is how nature selects the fittest, and eliminates the rest.

I say go ahead - and keep us updated.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Depending on the species, you might not have much cannibalism. Some Avics will live together and many Poecs will too, even as adults.

-Kelly

TobusRex

Arachnopeon
Kellygirl..I've heard avics are "semi- social", but that they tend to eat each other.

<mendi> yeah, I DO want to know about it. :D

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Overmenneske said:
It's not mean at all, this is how nature selects the fittest, and eliminates the rest.

I say go ahead - and keep us updated.
It may be natural selection.... But what about the spiderlings that would have wondered off in the wild? I doubt the spiderlings would eat each other until there was only one left in the wild. Or eat each other for them to eat even 1/4 of what was born. So I say its still rather cruel.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I wouldnt say its a problem so long as you do it with a species that's not in high demand. It's rather selfish to use a desired species as feeders just for an experiment.

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scorpiove said:
But what about the spiderlings that would have wondered off in the wild?
I what way actually is this relevant to the topic at hand?
The wild is not rational, reasoning will not work here. In the wild, all of the spiderlings could suffer a long and painful death, I don't know any place on earth where invertebrate spider prey falls from the sky regularly.

None of the spiders in question would have made it to the forest or desert or whatever anyway, they are kept by a human, remember? If it wasn't for the keeper mating the spiders in the first place, these animals wouldn't even exist.

Please do not compare this to a situation in the wild. Because it isn't.

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
I think you should go out and buy all of the P. metallica slings you can find and try it with them.