Crossbreeding isopods?

Chimera

Arachnosquire
So my interest in breeding isopods persists, but I'm having difficulty finding sources to learn about the finer point of it. Everything I find is too technical for me to understand, or not specific enough.

I have one main question that I haven't been able to find the answer to. So I know different colors of isopods within species can be crossbred, but what about isopods that are different species but in the same genus? For example, breeding Porcellio dilatatus with Porcellio scaber? (Totally random examples.)

I feel like it should be possible, but if it is, why haven't hobbyist pursued it?

Thanks in advance! Also, any links to sources or papers about isopod breeding are appreciated :)

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
I’ve never seen it happen. I chalk it up to two things:
-Everyone who keeps isopods is also in the invert hobby in some other form, and knows the stigma against hybrids
-The species just.. don’t breed. The genus you used in your example, Porcellio, is very diverse, with its species occupying many parts of the world. If I tried to pair one of my P. ornatus with a scaber, nothing would happen. Size differences, different environments, etc. lead to these animals being foreign from one another.

Unfortunately i come bearing no papers or articles on breeding, but feel free to ask me any questions! I’m still pretty new at a fair bit of the iso hobby, but i like to help when i can, and i may just learn something too!

Chimera

Arachnosquire
I’ve never seen it happen. I chalk it up to two things:
-Everyone who keeps isopods is also in the invert hobby in some other form, and knows the stigma against hybrids
-The species just.. don’t breed. The genus you used in your example, Porcellio, is very diverse, with its species occupying many parts of the world. If I tried to pair one of my P. ornatus with a scaber, nothing would happen. Size differences, different environments, etc. lead to these animals being foreign from one another.

Unfortunately i come bearing no papers or articles on breeding, but feel free to ask me any questions! I’m still pretty new at a fair bit of the iso hobby, but i like to help when i can, and i may just learn something too!
Okay, thanks for your answer. And I don't have any more questions off the top of my head, but I'll be sure to shoot you a message if I think of some!

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
Generally isopods in the hobby don't seem to be able to hybridise. I've seen different Armadillidium species trying to mate but nothing ever came out of it. If someone managed to get two species to hybridise it would be big news, as there is no accounts of the species in the hobby hybridising yet.

Arachnidusa

Arachnopeon
As far as I'm aware isopods do not cross breed. But dwarf whites will out compete any other isopod culture. So its highly recommended to never try raise more than one species in any one tub at a time

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
But dwarf whites will out compete any other isopod culture. So its highly recommended to never try raise more than one species in any one tub at a time
Soil-dwelling species (dwarf and pygmy sp.) can be cohabited with bigger, on-soil living ones. An example of this would be keeping dwarf whites with powder blues, or Hyloniscus riparius with Trachelipus ratzeburgi.

Out competition usually happens with species that live in the same niché, like dwarf whites and dwarf purples, Porcellio scaber and Porcellio laevis, Porcellio laevis and Armadillidium maculatum (zebras) ect. as one species will breed quicker and they compete for the same resources. Sometimes they will even eat the offspring of the other species.

It's also important to offer enough food rich in protein and calcium (cuttlefish bone is a favourite for the latter) so there's no eating of others or even their own offspring. The exception to this are Porcellio scaber as they will randomly eat their own offspring at times anyway. They should never be cohabited with anything that isn't springtails due to their aggressive behavior.

Last edited: