cross breeding scorpions

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nazgul said:
Hi,

I´ve never had any problems putting together or mating any adult Centruroides specimens. I´ve also never observed any aggression.
So C. gracilis shouldn't be a problem? (Had already luck with C. flavopictus, the mating that is). I have nice male, and nice female.

I saw today a male and a female under the same rock (C. gracilis). It's not the first time I see 2 adults (m and f) share a rock. Is this common?

Nazgul said:
I doubt that it´s easily possible to breed scorpion hybrids. Even C. margaritatus and gracilis which are quite closely related are producing an offspring capable of survival.
You mean: aren't producing any offspring capable of survival?

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

of course I meant "aren´t", you are right. Sorry for that mistake.

Regards
Alex

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here in Spain; there is a group of people that make artificial/not real reproduction with tarantulas. They stimulate the males ( previous anestesia use) to cach the sperm. After that make sleep the female tarantula and introduce the sperm in the sexual hole.

I think it is nice to take xperiments like some of you tryes, but is not a good care to own pets. I think also in scorps it will be very difficult to get.

All by the science!!!

Cheers
Carles

P.D: I'm not agree this methods, but they don't leave to be interesting xperiments. Also for across species.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Heya Andro-

Everytime a person decides to keep a scorpion in captivity, it is an experiment of sorts. Everytime a person decides to attempt a mating of a scorpion species, it is an experiment. BL, we know too little to know much for sure and until we do, we're experimentin'! LOL

Non-harmful experimentation in regards to scorpions is in and of itself an awesome adventure. From these experiments, we sometimes have a better grasp on the finer workings of many scorps than many scorpiologists that just do not have enough casual time to devote to such undertakings.
To date, there's a great deal of accumulative speculative information but in reality, we actually know very little about this amazing and enigmatic group of animals and if each one of us conducts a bit of experimentation then, we open new doors and insights that help us understand the myriad, often unknown aspects of these animals.
Think of this: those on the board that pursue captive breeding of many, sometimes uncommon or rare species, have been given insights into the courtship, mating, parturition, post-embryonic development, etc. of many species of which, no such data exists.
Here in the States, aside from abundant systematic research and a very narrow focus on only a few choice species (P. utahensis, H. arizonensis, C. exilicauda, C. vittatus, U. mordax & V. spinigerus) almost nothing is known in regards to the majority of the U.S. scorpion fauna (i.e. Pseudouroctonus, Serrradigitus, Uroctonites, Vaejovis, Diplocentrus, etc.). So, there's still a nebulous amount of questions that need answers and people to answer them; whether those people are formally trained scorpiologists or avid and ardent enthusiasts (this be we!).

Best Regards,
Luc

Exoschel69

Arachnopeon
Heya Andro-

Everytime a person decides to keep a scorpion in captivity, it is an experiment of sorts. Everytime a person decides to attempt a mating of a scorpion species, it is an experiment. BL, we know too little to know much for sure and until we do, we're experimentin'! LOL

Non-harmful experimentation in regards to scorpions is in and of itself an awesome adventure. From these experiments, we sometimes have a better grasp on the finer workings of many scorps than many scorpiologists that just do not have enough casual time to devote to such undertakings.
To date, there's a great deal of accumulative speculative information but in reality, we actually know very little about this amazing and enigmatic group of animals and if each one of us conducts a bit of experimentation then, we open new doors and insights that help us understand the myriad, often unknown aspects of these animals.
Think of this: those on the board that pursue captive breeding of many, sometimes uncommon or rare species, have been given insights into the courtship, mating, parturition, post-embryonic development, etc. of many species of which, no such data exists.
Here in the States, aside from abundant systematic research and a very narrow focus on only a few choice species (P. utahensis, H. arizonensis, C. exilicauda, C. vittatus, U. mordax & V. spinigerus) almost nothing is known in regards to the majority of the U.S. scorpion fauna (i.e. Pseudouroctonus, Serrradigitus, Uroctonites, Vaejovis, Diplocentrus, etc.). So, there's still a nebulous amount of questions that need answers and people to answer them; whether those people are formally trained scorpiologists or avid and ardent enthusiasts (this be we!).

Best Regards,
Luc
this is a great explanation! i personally would love to find a way to breed scorplings from two separate breeds of scorpion. i think it would be an adventure to see them grow up and take their own unique style and shape. maybe even breed them again refining characteristics i like the most! a sort of survival of my favorite sort of thingXD

Keister

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is one of those things that you put under the catagory "don't play God". In other words don't try to cross breed, it can really ruin your reputation as a breeder if people find out you cross breed.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Woooo, old thread but, oh well. I think it's OK if it's for scientific purposes/studies.

Hornets inverts

Arachnobaron
I have no huge problem with hybridising as long as the resulting animals are never sold/traded/given away. I'm very curious as to what might come out of hybrid parings but i believe any hybrid offspring should be kept by the breeder untill the day they are killed/die

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bringing back old threads is really becoming irritating...no one can answer them, or have any reason to, but this is often found AFTER a post is made...

Hottentotta jayakari salei is the only hybrid in the hobby that I know has been in the hobby sometime in the last three years, and it is very rare, as is H. salei. It is not commercially bred, and is only in Europe.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
lol, search police meet anti-necromancers... can win, apparently

check out transvillosus... Parabuthus transvallicus with something else.

there are also a fair amount of intergrades in nature. naturally occurring hybrids between either species or subspecies, i can't remember right now

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
I tried it once, got my male p villosus orange and female p transvaalicus, tehy are living in the same enclosure, they've been living together for a couple of months. i don't know if the female is gravid but her tummy is big, the thing is I couldn't find the spermatophore. (I rehouse them twice)

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
There's some speculation at the moment as to whether villosus and transvaalicus are the same species. It is very possible.
In that case it wouldn't be cross breeding per-say.
Very cool experiment nonetheless!

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Folks, this thread is from 2005, and the previous responses are from 2012. You're a little late to the discussion.

I tried it once, got my male p villosus orange and female p transvaalicus, tehy are living in the same enclosure, they've been living together for a couple of months. i don't know if the female is gravid but her tummy is big, the thing is I couldn't find the spermatophore. (I rehouse them twice)
But why? P. villosus in particular aren't that common. Why not try to breed them with their own species?

On the off chance they do hybridize, please do not sell the offspring.

There's some speculation at the moment as to whether villosus and transvaalicus are the same species. It is very possible.
They are closely related, but I have never read anything that suggested that P. villosus and P. transvaalicus are the same species.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
They are closely related, but I have never read anything that suggested that P. villosus and P. transvaalicus are the same species.
It' been discovered by a buddy of mine that villosus can "spit" venom as far as 4 feet. A feature only found in transvaalicus amongst parabuthus species.
DNA testing will soon be done

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It' been discovered by a buddy of mine that villosus can "spit" venom as far as 4 feet. A feature only found in transvaalicus amongst parabuthus species.
DNA testing will soon be done
That's not particularly surprising, nor is that trait alone enough to distinguish between species. Indeed I've been able to get Hadrurus species to spray venom in controlled settings (albeit, only a few inches). P. villosus have a number of differing morphological characteristics, and additionally I'm fairly certain that genetic testing has already been done (see work by Lorenzo Prendini).

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
Hopefully it will be succesful, once it is, I'll share it with all of you the progress