Cross breeding scoprions

Pana Lemontzis

Arachnopeon
Can Javanimetrus cyaneus(formely H. cyaneus) and Heterometrus silenus crossbreed ? Since the Javanimetrus is nowin another genus ?

(I would never cross breed any speices)

Pana Lemontzis

Arachnopeon
And I answered your question to the best of my ability too. Possibly.
How should I know for sure if these species are never kept together?
I never aaked if they can live together. I asked since they got a revision, does that mean they cant mate because theyre in a different genus?

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Taxonomy is not always clear like that. In biology class you learn that different species can't interbreed, yet there are many examples where it is possible, and in some cases, even different genera have interbred.
Since they were moved to a different genus, it is expected that they are genetically distant enough that they can't. However, nature is not always easily predictable, and taxonomy is a way of organising species based on the similarities and differences as far as we're able to tell, which is not 100%. If DNA studies have been done, that could tell us a lot about if they theoretically could. But the only way to know for sure, is if it happened. Since crossbreeding is generally not attempted, you're unlikely to get a clear cut yes/no answer unfortunately.

Pana Lemontzis

Arachnopeon
Taxonomy is not always clear like that. In biology class you learn that different species can't interbreed, yet there are many examples where it is possible, and in some cases, even different genera have interbred.
Since they were moved to a different genus, it is expected that they are genetically distant enough that they can't. However, nature is not always easily predictable, and taxonomy is a way of organising species based on the similarities and differences as far as we're able to tell, which is not 100%. If DNA studies have been done, that could tell us a lot about if they theoretically could. But the only way to know for sure, is if it happened. Since crossbreeding is generally not attempted, you're unlikely to get a clear cut yes/no answer unfortunately.
Ok thanks. Appreciate it