Crocodilian <3

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
Whomper

Been a few months since my last post in here. I've been pretty busy and unable to partake in the forum fratenizing. ;)

But whomper is doing wonderful! Still super attatched to me, though his temperment varies from day to day. And he has the appetite of a horse. >.<

Anywho, here are some photographs for you all. :) Enjoy!

223065_463118157061631_630576064_n.jpg

270677_463118317061615_285429469_n.jpg

381124_463118407061606_152312118_n.jpg

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've waited a bit before jumping in here. If you're still looking for a species id, this is Paleoschus trigonatus (ID on dorsal scute arrangement and mandibular coloration). It is the larger of the two extant paleosuchids. glad to see it is doing well.

Just as a suggestion and to help you with filtration you might care to look into building an overflow system for his filtration. It will drastically increase the water volume and filtration capacity and you can keep all chords out of the tank and away from sharp teeth by placing heaters into the sump itself rather than the tank.

Expect quite a change in temper with size. Caiman is spelled a-t-t-i-t-u-d-e and I would be wary of doing any cage maintenance on an adult trig. My former lab did a fair bit of work with crocodilians and a younger student caught a bleeder of a bite off of a young ( <1m ) saltwater croc. An adult trig would be more than capable of sending you to the emergency room. A future enclosure should also include a large land area. Paleosuchids are extensive diggers and spend a great deal of time in burrows.

Keep the pictures going, its always a treat to see such a little beasty grow up.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
I've waited a bit before jumping in here. If you're still looking for a species id, this is Paleoschus trigonatus (ID on dorsal scute arrangement and mandibular coloration). It is the larger of the two extant paleosuchids. glad to see it is doing well.

Just as a suggestion and to help you with filtration you might care to look into building an overflow system for his filtration. It will drastically increase the water volume and filtration capacity and you can keep all chords out of the tank and away from sharp teeth by placing heaters into the sump itself rather than the tank.

Expect quite a change in temper with size. Caiman is spelled a-t-t-i-t-u-d-e and I would be wary of doing any cage maintenance on an adult trig. My former lab did a fair bit of work with crocodilians and a younger student caught a bleeder of a bite off of a young ( <1m ) saltwater croc. An adult trig would be more than capable of sending you to the emergency room. A future enclosure should also include a large land area. Paleosuchids are extensive diggers and spend a great deal of time in burrows.

Keep the pictures going, its always a treat to see such a little beasty grow up.
That is wonderful and very helpful information. Thank you so much.

So would you recommend I stop the frequent handling? I would rather respect him as is and be sure not to stress him. Right now he is "attached" to me. But as you said, they change over time.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With crocodilians handling tends to make the person more comfortable than the animal more tame. I believe developing and perfecting techniques that allow you to continue with good husbandry practices while minimizing contact are better for both of you. You certainly want to be able to visually inspect the animal for potential health problems but outside of that handling is more about our need to emotionally bond and less about safety. Consider that an adult trig could permanently maim your hand and affect your ability to work for the rest of your life, hindering your ability to provide for yourself and your family. In that light I'd much prefer knowing I can safely manage an animal over the belief that I've handled it enough that it probably won't bite me.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
Thats understandable. that's what I originally had planned to do at the beginning of this thread. I think that's what I will be going back to doing. Thank you for the valuable information, sir. Very enlightening and thought out.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats understandable. that's what I originally had planned to do at the beginning of this thread. I think that's what I will be going back to doing. Thank you for the valuable information, sir. Very enlightening and thought out.
I've had years to think this over. I'm hoping to have a dwarf freshwater crocodile (there is one isolated population in northern Australia that are considered dwarves) in the next ten years or so. That said, these things are often on my mind.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
I've had years to think this over. I'm hoping to have a dwarf freshwater crocodile (there is one isolated population in northern Australia that are considered dwarves) in the next ten years or so. That said, these things are often on my mind.
WOW! You've been planning it for quite some time then. ;)
If you and I are both still on the boards around that point in time I would love to be posted on when you get one of them.

arachnofab

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very nice set up! He's adorable and I'm not much of a croc gal. U mentioned having P. mets. . . willing to sell?

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
Very nice set up! He's adorable and I'm not much of a croc gal. U mentioned having P. mets. . . willing to sell?
I do have P. mets. They are more of my personal collection, not quite sure if I'm willing to sell. :/

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
this thread has made me want one!!!
It's definitely a very fulfilling and rewarding experience. However I recommend you make sure you have the means to care for one for its whole life. Which can be quite the challenge!

Thanks,
Fix :)

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
Wow very nice :) very cute looking little guy
Thanks so much! He's awfully cute isn't he? His teeth are getting bigger and more jagged like a jigsaw however. A tad intimidating sometimes. ;) but cute none the less. I can't wait for him to get bigger. I just think all crocodilians are beautiful from birth and throughout all the stages and growth of their lives. :3

pixall

Arachnopeon
SO CUTE! I would love to get one eventually, but considering I live in an apartment in a major city, now would not be the time. Tho they are advertised on craigslist etc a TON around here. =/ How about some new pics? pretty please? :D