Critique Wanted of Brachypelma albopilosum/Curly hair enclosure

Auxilery

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone! First of all, I love you all and can't thank you enough for being active on this community; I've learned a ton (a LOT more than the reptile store told me...), so I really appreciate it. That being said, I am a first time tarantula owner, and just got my B. albopilosum yesterday (and I can't be happier!).

So, I'm seeking critique regarding my setup. It has a sturdy plastic cup for a cave, a large but shallow water dish, and I'm using potting soil for the base. I live in north-central Florida, so it's always humid as heck and at least room temperature.

My biggest question would be the height of the area. The width/length seems to be fine, plenty of room for it to walk around and explore. My issue is height. I was considering upgrading to an Exo Terra breeder box (which would add 1 inch to the height), or a 10 gal. tank, which I fear might be too high. I'm extremely fearful of falls, and don't want anything preventable like that to occur. Pictures are below! (Also the glare on this housing is ridiculous, so sorry if you can't see too well, but hopefully you get the idea).

Thanks in advance for looking at this and for your feedback! Again, I'm new, so any advice would be tremendously appreciated. Much love!

20180706_215159.jpg 20180706_215208.jpg

Last edited:

Mpmackenna

ArachnoNerd
I would do the breeder box over the 10 gallon. Better ventilation and no screen top to deal with. Your current setup doesn't look too bad. I can't tell if the hide is transparent but if it is I would cover it with dirt or swap for something opaque. Oh, and add a water dish if you dont have one.

Mike

Auxilery

Arachnopeon
I would do the breeder box over the 10 gallon. Better ventilation and no screen top to deal with. Your current setup doesn't look too bad. I can't tell if the hide is transparent but if it is I would cover it with dirt or swap for something opaque. Oh, and add a water dish if you dont have one.

Mike
The hide is kinda like frosted plastic...not entirely transparent but light can come through. The tarantula's pretty comfy with it though, so I'll cover it with dirt for sure :) Thank you so so so much!

Mpmackenna

ArachnoNerd
The hide is kinda like frosted plastic...not entirely transparent but light can come through. The tarantula's pretty comfy with it though, so I'll cover it with dirt for sure :) Thank you so so so much!
You're welcome. Welcome to the hobby.

Mike

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Definitely not too tall. General rulr of thumb is not more than 1.5 times the DLS of the occupant. That looks yo be about 0.5-.75 times.

cold blood

Staff member
1. How big is the specimen? This is pretty important info.

2. Add just a little more sub.

3. I would use something better than a cup. Either way, the hide should not have a back or a bottom, so if its a dead end hide, you need to make alterations...albeit, simple ones.

Otherwise, looks like a good set up for a new keeper.

Auxilery

Arachnopeon
1. How big is the specimen? This is pretty important info.

2. Add just a little more sub.

3. I would use something better than a cup. Either way, the hide should not have a back or a bottom, so if its a dead end hide, you need to make alterations...albeit, simple ones.

Otherwise, looks like a good set up for a new keeper.
1. The tarantula is about 2.5" from the end of the abdomen to the end of the chelicerae. While it's sitting comfortably, it's about 4" long including the legs. Measuring tarantulas is difficult, haha.

2. Will do.

3. Brilliant! I had no idea that it shouldn't have a back or bottom...I'll find something better, maybe the store has one of those half-cut logs I can use.

Thank you so so much, I really appreciate your help!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My issue is height. I was considering upgrading to an Exo Terra breeder box (which would add 1 inch to the height)
I have an adult female B. albo in the large size of this product, she and many other adults do fine, plus they stack!

Yorkshire

Arachnopeon
I like the circular enclosure you've got there, I've never seen one of those before (UK) what's the brand/model?

S and MJ

Arachnopeon
Curly's in my opinion, seldom climb. Give yourself enough height where u can add stuff like plastic plants from fishtanks, bit not so high that she'd injure herself if she does choose to climb. Curly's arent really arborreal they prefer the ground. And the occasional dig. Every now and then she may go on a webbing frenzy, hence i suggest a plastic plant or two. Otherwise they are happy with a deepish substrate, a hide and fresh water. My fav beginner T. So much so that when my first male died i bought another! Good luck and well done on initial set up.