Cringy tarantula videos

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Annnnnd you can also see them handling new world Ts while standing up with nothing to protect them from a 4 foot + drop.
poor fellas. I've seen them handle terrestrial at standing level, plenty high enough to kill a terrestrial.

I mean I don't find anything wrong with education like with our great mod EulersK's channel...which their beginner T video didn't seem to help me much--as my first T was a P met :rolleyes:. However this guy Brian is not really educating people. He is just making a profit.

There is this pretty weird disconnect where someone might see my set up for my Ts that aren't big enough to go into a display enclosure, and they think I am bad for using rubber maids and what not, even though I am giving them proper care and they grow healthy. Then those same people see this affluent 'net famous' person and think they are a god that does no wrong. I hope this doesn't effect kids and normalize bad habits to new hobbyist.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I know people like him, and he leans towards children's entertainment, but Coyote Peterson and his ilk annoy me to no end
I don't mind him so much. I do think that it could be less sensational and be just as engaging because, shocker, kids like seeing wild animals. Now that Animal Planet is in the toilet and Nat Geo Wild is the only channel showing actual animal footage in an educational format, YouTube has become a new source for this. But being YouTube it has to come at you with that "WOW WE JUST FOUND AN INCREDIBLY RARE ____ AND I'M GONNA TOUCH IT!" frame.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I don't mind him so much. I do think that it could be less sensational and be just as engaging because, shocker, kids like seeing wild animals. Now that Animal Planet is in the toilet and Nat Geo Wild is the only channel showing actual animal footage in an educational format, YouTube has become a new source for this. But being YouTube it has to come at you with that "WOW WE JUST FOUND AN INCREDIBLY RARE ____ AND I'M GONNA TOUCH IT!" frame.
I used to love watching Animal Planet. It was the go-to channel when I was ill or stressed. Hours and hours have I spent watching it. And now? From awesome documentaries to reality tv and trash.. Just like Discovery Channel.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I used to love watching Animal Planet. It was the go-to channel when I was ill or stressed. Hours and hours have I spent watching it. And now? From awesome documentaries to reality tv and trash.. Just like Discovery Channel.
The channel really went downhill after Steve Irwin died. :(

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The channel really went downhill after Steve Irwin died. :(
Yeah, although he was a bit borderline doable for me to be honest. I don't like overly loud people like him or say, coyote, but his program contained a treasure on info and images.

I liked programs like Meerkat Manor or Monkey World very much :)

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Yeah, although he was a bit borderline doable for me to be honest. I don't like overly loud people like him or say, coyote, but his program contained a treasure on info and images.

I liked programs like Meerkat Manor or Monkey World very much :)
His persona definitely wasn't for everyone, but I don't think anyone can deny that he was someone who had a unwaveringly genuine passion for animals and never let the fame and cameras make him stray from why he did what he did. He was very influential in my love for strange animals growing up, and I'll never forget the day I found out he died. At least the man died doing what he loved.

I definitely was a fan of Meerkat Manor. Flower and Shakespeare were the faves. :rofl:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I'm wondering what happened to the T after the video (I may have missed it - I had to keep fast forwarding in disgust). Clearly this dummy doesn't have the skill or interest to take care of it.
She at least had the decency to return it to the store she bought it from. Unlike those neanderthals who just kill the T once it's served its purpose in the "prank".

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Wow. It sickens me to know that people like this girl exist. I mean I guess good on her for not smashing it but God seriously! The insanity is bazonkers! I couldn’t get more than three minutes into the video. And it’s a bloody pink toe for crying out loud! They are one of the absolute cutest spiders ever. I’m REALLY glad the pet shop told her not to handle it.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
To be honest I’m mire than 100% sure that if any of us saw a tarantula crawling on our dining room tables we’d snatch it up and ask questions later...

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I hesitate to share this because it’s far beyond “cringy”
I went into the comments of this video hoping to find people with common sense telling this idiot how disgusting of a thing this is to do, but nope. Just a bunch of scared girls going "omg im so scared of spiders even little ones" "this is SO SCARY" "this is like my worst fear lol"
Like for god's sake it's AN AVIC. Fluffy little fluffs! With pink shoes! They are the least scary tarantulas out there.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I hesitate to share this because it’s far beyond “cringy”
I flagged the video. If enough of us do so the vid will be taken down. We've done this before and got a lot of videos taken down, so just flag it.
I will not go into the NSFW content of what I think of her, but it is not good. :shifty:

ColletteTZ

Arachnopeon
I flagged the video. If enough of us do so the vid will be taken down. We've done this before and got a lot of videos taken down, so just flag it.
I will not go into the NSFW content of what I think of her, but it is not good. :shifty:
I reported it. So many things triggered me, also why put the dog so close to it!?? Such a sweet little avic just another typical YT normie that will do anything for views.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
I know that to us this is something shocking but 95% of people don't see anything wrong with this, a lot of people don't even think spiders are animals. Lack of general knowledge is the main problem here. The girl in the video isn't an idiot for doing something like this because great majority doesn't know any better and the general media presents tarantulas in this light.

Just like the gold fish and the small bowl aquarium. It is a terrible practise that is basically an animal abuse but, in almost every movie you will see that as normal thing. Of course that majority won't know any better and consider it a good think, doesn't automatically means that they are idiots.

But imagine if the pet store instead of Avic had some old world, this video would be on the whole different level xD

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
But imagine if the pet store instead of Avic had some old world, this video would be on the whole different level xD
That was my thought - she lucked out that she happened to buy a more docile species. There are a good number of NWs that wouldn't have tolerated being handled like that and gone on the defensive, let alone if she happened to buy some OW. And if that happened, I highly doubt the spider would have made it back to the pet store.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
95% of people don't see anything wrong with this
The girl in the video isn't an idiot for doing something like this because great majority doesn't know any better
I think we all understand how the majority feels about T's, but that doesn't excuse their behavior towards them and if someone thinks it's okay to use a living creature as prop for a stupid joke I feel justified in calling them dumb.