1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cringy Tarantula Care Sheets

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Mychajlo, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Now I think we’ve all seen the thread “Cringy Tarantula videos” now I just came across a care sheet online and thought it was downright ridiculous like most are. I wanna see what else you guys can find that are completely stupid. Like this peice of work
    7BDB303C-39B3-4121-9D69-7A402CBD9B37.jpeg

• Sad Sad x 2
  2. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Pretty much ALL care sheets are cringe worthy in one way or another.

You want to search for that rare one that's not cringe worthy...now that would be worth noting. You just might have better luck finding bigfoot at a McDonalds drive through.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. StampFan

StampFan Arachnobaron Active Member

Calgary
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Sad Sad x 3
  4. darkness975

darkness975 Brachypelma darknessi Arachnosupporter

Yours and @viper69 s Avic spp. care sheets/threads are examples of some not cringe worthy care guides. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  5. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnobaron Active Member

It's like they found a lizard care sheet and did a "find and replace" to add "tarantula/scorpion" in place of the actual intended animal.

Good lord.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. cold blood

As you said, those are extensive guides...not care sheets....lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Award Award x 1
  7. cold blood

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnopeon

This care sheet should be called “How to kill your new pet tarantula and scorpion”

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

A lot of veterinarians (good luck finding one that knows anything about tarantulas) are going to be getting calls from concerned rosie owners if they follow this advice:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. spookyvibes

spookyvibes Arachnobaron Active Member

Indiana
    I couldn't get halfway through that, but what I did read was horrifying. Also, when's my rosie going to get to 8" dls?:hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

If it doesn't reach 8", contact a veterinarian.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnopeon

Please don’t bother the vet for that :hilarious:

13. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnobaron Active Member

With care sheets I find if you Google species most of the time Toms care sheets come up on top of the search.
    So it's not all bad.

14. NateSqueeler

NateSqueeler Arachnopeon

Don't go to the veterinarian if your tarantula has swollen joints. Just dust your crickets with crushed up asprin twice a week.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnopeon

I think they are pretty reliable, I’ve used his on a number of occasions.

16. Rittdk01

Rittdk01 Arachnoknight

Indiana
    Care sheets go way too far and complicate keeping what is probably the easiest pet. It is really tricky for a beginner to weed through all the bs. It's not only care sheets that complicate t keeping.

When I got a T stirmi and posted a couple years ago I got 20 different members telling me how to keep her and how crappy of condition she was in. My head was spinning with all the stuff being thrown at me, and I was sure I would kill her. I just copied a fellow keepers setup that has worked for years with his T stirmi and never looked back. Btw my two T stirmi are as simple as a rosehair to keep.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. VanessaS

VanessaS Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

They aren't that bad at all. People will argue that any care information that includes temperature and humidity levels is evil, but if you don't get too hung up on that aspect, they aren't evil at all.
    I like that he provides details on each species environment in the wild. More people need to look at that, if you can narrow it down, because their wild locale gives you good information. Especially when it comes to changes in their environment throughout different parts of the year. There are very few places on this planet that stay exactly the same all year round - there are drier seasons, wetter seasons, cooler seasons and hotter seasons. We should be trying to replicate that to the best of our ability in captivity. While it might not kill them to have a more constant environment, when it comes to things like breeding - it makes a difference to know how their seasons change naturally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnopeon

I also really like the part of his care sheets where at the bottom he puts his personal comments form where he’s kept that species and what he’s experienced, really helpful and interesting to see others opinions on a species

19. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    There isn't a consensus. Some like them - some (me) seriously dislike them. Why?

Temps and humidity - the numbers he gives are usually pretty ridiculous.

He tells you a lot about the climate of the larger area they come from, and that's really dangerous. Let's take the GBB: When it first appeared in the hobby people tried to recreate the climate of Venezuela, its home country - moist rain forrest. And the GBBs kept dying. Why? Because this species is from a small area that's actually arid. The overall climate of Venezuela is wrong for this species, and he even specifies dry later on in his care sheet but still descries the mostly tropical climate of Venezuela. Then for Cyriocosmus ritae he describes the overall climate of Brazil - that country is huge and provides many different microclimates. C. ritae comes from the border of Brazil and Peru and the climate he describes is wrong.

What you need to know is not the climate of the country the spiders are from but the microclimate of the specific spot these tarantulas live in. E.g.: If they come from a dry country do they live in small valleys or in burrows where moisture is retained for much longer than average? If they come from a wet country do the live on hills and sandy soil with good drainage where it is much dryer than average? And so on.

These overall climate data are incredibly misleading and should be disregarded. But people love them - they sound so scientific.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1