1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cricket I.D please

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by mmfh, Oct 12, 2018 at 8:48 AM.

1. mmfh

mmfh Arachnobaron

usa
  2. MES

MES Arachnopeon Active Member

Utah
    Hi!
    If you could tell me where this cricket was found, and I can try to help. Thanks!

3. MES

MES Arachnopeon Active Member

Utah
    Actually, I believe that is a raspy cricket, possibly the species Camptonotus carolinensis, or a Carolina leaf roller.

4. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Agreed with Camptonotus carolinensis.

5. mmfh

mmfh Arachnobaron

usa
    Looks like it was already identified but it was on my house in Blair Co. Pennsylvania. Thanks everyone, it was something I've never seen before and you guys are spot on :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 10:08 AM
  6. Geb Arachnia Whitney

Geb Arachnia Whitney Arachnosquire Active Member

Looks like the camel crickets we have in Michigan forests. They're distantly related to the Giant weta.

7. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    very very distantly, they're in their own family- Gryllacrididae, the raspy crickets. Not wetas, jerusalem crickets, or katydids, they're their own kind of ensifera.

Our closest north american relatives to wetas are a different kind of silk-spinning cricket, Cnemotettix. these could literally be considered north american wetas/king crickets.

• Informative Informative x 1