Crested gecko vivarium

Keke713

Arachnoknight
61EEE150-37B8-44BE-AC8E-C154C5EEDFE1.jpeg Hey guys meet Mr. Carlos! I recently acquired my first crested gecko. I would love to give him the best home he could possibly have. I want to build a vivarium for him. So my question is what is a good substrate mix that’s safe for him, but at the same time is suitable to grow some pothos plants in it as well? I know I need hydryballs on the bottom layer, then a screen mesh, then the substrate mix. Would isopods or springtails be the best option?

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
For substrate, AGB mix or something from TheBioDude (I think he makes a crestie bioactive kit). Also remember to use fabric mesh and not metal— metal will rust. As for a cleaner crew, why not both? Springtails and isopods work well together. I’d suggest Porcellionides pruinosus or one of the fancier Porcellio scaber morphs if you want to add a bit of flair to the viv. Also, Mr. Carlos is beautiful!

Last edited:

Keke713

Arachnoknight
Awesome thanks man! I stumbled upon Josh’s frogs page and found some pretty good info and supplies for less than 100 bucks. So I think I’m gonna order all that soon! Thanks he still has his tail which is pretty dope as I’ve heard they get spooked easily and drop their tail as a result.

SFA

Arachnoknight
Hey! He's adorbs! For my vivarium, I did a mix of ABG mix from Josh's Frogs and eco earth. I did a false bottom with clay hydroballs, covered with a screen, and then the ABG/Ecoearth mix on top of that. I bought my lighting, wood, and plants from NEHERP. I use springtails and dwarf isopods for the cleanup crew. I initially used some larger isopods I caught outside.... but Tiamat ate them LOL.
IMG_0427.JPG IMG_0406.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG
IMG_2480.JPG
Capture.PNG

Keke713

Arachnoknight
That looks amazing man! Yeah I have quite a few items in my cart from Josh’s frogs lol. Now to just try and convince the wife Mr. Carlos NEEDS all this lol.

SFA

Arachnoknight
That looks amazing man! Yeah I have quite a few items in my cart from Josh’s frogs lol. Now to just try and convince the wife Mr. Carlos NEEDS all this lol.
HE TOTALLY NEEDS IT!! See wife, a stranger on the internet agrees!!

My husband and I have an agreement that he can buy whatever video games he wants and I can make crazy animal setups LOL

SFA

Arachnoknight
Oh, forgot to mention, I did a leaf litter/moss layer on top the substrate.

Keke713

Arachnoknight
HE TOTALLY NEEDS IT!! See wife, a stranger on the internet agrees!!

My husband and I have an agreement that he can buy whatever video games he wants and I can make crazy animal setups LOL
Well you see it wouldn’t be an issue if I wasn’t into video games and exotic pets! Haha it should be fine though. I think all that I need from Josh’s frogs was about 46 bucks. Before shipping lol.

Oh, forgot to mention, I did a leaf litter/moss layer on top the substrate.
Yeah I had gotten me a bag of leaf litter as well

Keke713

Arachnoknight
What kind of light would I need? I was planning on planting pothos and philodendron because they are low plants. Since Cresties don’t need heat lamps I was thinking maybe an LED??

SFA

Arachnoknight
What kind of light would I need? I was planning on planting pothos and philodendron because they are low plants. Since Cresties don’t need heat lamps I was thinking maybe an LED??
Yep I use the Jungle Dawn LED lamps. I have an exoterra so I was able to get the hood that fit it.

Keke713

Arachnoknight
Yep I use the Jungle Dawn LED lamps. I have an exoterra so I was able to get the hood that fit it.
I am about to place my order. Does it look like I’m missing anything? I have plenty of eco earth here at home.
FFE122E3-5628-43A5-B3BE-E3352D7079BC.png

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I am about to place my order. Does it look like I’m missing anything? I have plenty of eco earth here at home.
View attachment 286037
Those Repti-vine-type things are a must. Mine use them as a speedway around the enclosure. 6 foot ones. Mine also really like horizontal pool noodles, but that would upset your aesthetic....

Keke713

Arachnoknight
Looks great! Does the hood com with the lamps too? You’ll prpbably want some wood/sticks for him to climb on too if you don’t already have any.
Yes the hood comes with the led lights. Check and check. I have plenty of cork bark and other types of sticks I will throw in there.

Those Repti-vine-type things are a must. Mine use them as a speedway around the enclosure. 6 foot ones. Mine also really like horizontal pool noodles, but that would upset your aesthetic....
I was actually going to try and make my own. I saw a video on The Dark Den channel where he shows you how to make them. As a matter of fact I’m actually going to make a back ground using styrofoam, Black aquarium silicone, and coco fiber. Gonna be a neat little project!

Keke713

Arachnoknight
So I finally got everything I needed! I decided to leave some of the artificial vines in for Mr. Carlos, so all the other plants have time to grow. Slight issue with the springtails but Josh’s Frogs are sending me another culture free of charge! Any advice or things I should change??? 545E3878-92F2-452F-BAC7-1B8785207FD6.jpeg

SFA

Arachnoknight
So I finally got everything I needed! I decided to leave some of the artificial vines in for Mr. Carlos, so all the other plants have time to grow. Slight issue with the springtails but Josh’s Frogs are sending me another culture free of charge! Any advice or things I should change??? View attachment 287119
Oh wow that looks awesome! He’s gonna love it!!

Keke713

Arachnoknight
Oh wow that looks awesome! He’s gonna love it!!
Thanks! I hope he does! I can’t wait for the pothos and philodendron to start growing in. I had a blast setting it up and can’t wait to do another haha!