1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crested gecko floppy tail syndrome, is it dangerous ?

Discussion in 'Not So Spineless Wonders' started by Xephirus, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Xephirus

Xephirus Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Hello everyone,

I wanted to know if the "floppy tail syndrome" or "FTS" for short is dangerous for a crested gecko.

I recently bought 2 adult females about 2-3 months ago and they are healthy, eat well etc. But one of my female "Chromie" :happy: often lay face down on the glass of the terrarium to sleep despite the many places for her to hide during the day (like the other female does) and she already had (or developped ?) a slight FTS.

I'm really concern about her well-being and wanted to know if it's dangerous or not and what can I do to prevent her lying all day on the glass.

Thanks a lot for your response :)

2. Fincloser

Fincloser Arachnopeon Arachnosupporter

Add a few more places for it to hide and climb. Change up the environment a bit and add a few things to the glass where she hangs out. It sometimes works. Good luck.

3. Lyrognathus

Lyrognathus Arachnopeon Active Member

It's completely harmless, even for breeders.

4. starnaito

starnaito Arachnosquire

PA
    Despite how bad it looks, it shouldn't impact the gecko's health. However, if it's an extreme case, I heard it can twist the hips, which isn't good for females. If you're having trouble getting her to sleep in a better position, try getting a raised hide. I've been using this "bubble loft" from Stroodies, and my gecko won't sleep anywhere else now. She likes to feel secure and hidden. I also put hanging plants covering a majority of the glass.

IMG_20180524_155215_088.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Xephirus

Xephirus Arachnopeon Active Member

Thanks for all the answers <3 I indeed added a few more branches and one additional hide and they never slept on the glass from now on :)