1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crested Gecko Eggs

Discussion in 'Not So Spineless Wonders' started by ~Abyss~, Apr 3, 2008.

1. ~Abyss~

~Abyss~ Arachnoking Old Timer

Advertisement
    I was given two of these from a friend.. sad thing is I really don't know much about them. I read up on them a bit and I think what I'm doing is right but can anyone give me a second opnion? I have the two eggs in a delicup with moistend peat no to moist but enough to compact them. I have them in 80F climate with ventilation.
    -Eddy

2. AneesasMuse

AneesasMuse Arachnoangel

I always incubate my Crested eggs on vermiculite.. moist enough to clump when pinched, but not dripping ..at room temps (75F 'ish). Incubation varies from 60 - 90 days for me... shorter inc'y times were a couple of years ago, when the Bay Area climate was exceptionally warmer.

Good Luck!

3. T Frank

T Frank Arachnobaron

I do the same as above.
    I keep them in an airtight container and remove the lid and fan them a little every day.

4. ~Abyss~

hmm would escavator sand work? It's the same thing almost no? Where can I get vermiculite?

5. Rich65

Rich65 Arachnosquire

Vermiculite can be found at most hardware stores, garden centers and such. I use a vermiculite and perlite mix, been using the same recipe for all my reptile eggs for many years with good success.

6. ~Abyss~

Thanks for the advice guys. One more small question they've been in that container for a week now. Is it to late for them or do you think they'll be all right? They were laid on 3-30-08
    -Eddy

7. T Frank

T Frank Arachnobaron

It's worth a try, they could be perfectly fine.
    Are they still white?

8. AneesasMuse

AneesasMuse Arachnoangel

They should be fine, but don't rotate their position when moving them to the vermiculite. (Nurseries, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. will all have vermiculite and perlite, btw.)

And nope.. Excavator Sand is not at all like Vermiculite or Perlite ..not even close! The Excavator Sand will dry hard as a brick and possibly leach various things (colors, for one) into your eggs.

With Crested eggs, consider them viable until they are FURRY and/or SMELLY ..and deflated completely, of course. Other than those things.. they are good and leave them to do their thing :D

Good Luck!

9. ~Abyss~

switched them over today. They still seem fine white...a little dark on the bottom but that just the dirt. And I even turned up the heat by 2-3 degrees. Thanks for the tips guys
    -Eddy

10. T Frank

T Frank Arachnobaron

Keep us posted and good luck

11. AneesasMuse

AneesasMuse Arachnoangel

Just in my experience and quite a bit of reading of others' experiences with incubating Crested eggs.. no expert, here ..you really should turn the heat down about 5 degrees. These are rainforest/tropical, not all out tropical ...and temps in the 80s stress the parents out (and can be fatal), so I imagine it has some negative effect on eggs also.

12. ~Abyss~

They are still at low 80's which I tought tropical temp is but I guess I could turn it down a click.
    -Eddy

13. AzJohn

AzJohn Arachnoking

I keep my cresteds at room temps. I've been keeping and breeding for over a year. I think it was mentioned that you want to keep the eggs in their original orientation up or down.

john

14. Mushroom Spore

Mushroom Spore Arachnoemperor Old Timer

There is no such thing as one specific range which is "tropical temp." Tropical temp can be anything, depending on the specific tropical area and the animal's particular niche in that area.

In the case of the crested gecko, they are noctural and hide from the heat in cool places during the day, being active only in the much cooler nighttime...and up in the trees where the wind is blowing all the time, at that. Cresteds do very badly when kept hot.

15. ~Abyss~

Sorry guys I must appologize I'm no expert with herps especially rearing them from eggs. I'm a scorp dude and scorp tropical temp is mid 80's. So i thank you guys for teaching me. Anyways they're still doing fine. Temp is now at high 70's (room temp). Also I read somewhere online that the warmer the faster they hatch...but thats not really important to me. Anyways thanks again my next post will be when they hatch and I will be utterly confused and not know what to do ;).
    -Eddy

16. Rich65

Rich65 Arachnosquire

Also I read somewhere online that the warmer the faster they hatch...but thats not really important to me.

Warmer may hatch quicker but you also risk full term dead babies because of stress and excellerated growth rate or drying the eggs up.
    my .02cents

17. We're incubating our 4 crested eggs at room temps (70-73) which is actually better since the babies hatch out larger than they would at a higher incu temp. Granted it can take up to a 100 days to hatch or longer...I think I read someones going 120 days before, but they'll have a better start on life.

18. AneesasMuse

AneesasMuse Arachnoangel

The longest it's taken any of my Crested eggs to hatch ..86 days at room temps (75'ish degrees).

19. T Frank

T Frank Arachnobaron

Mine have all hatched between 80 and 90 days at 75 degrees.