Crested Gecko advice, please?

Mr Centipede

Arachnopeon
Would It be dangerous to get a Crested Gecko from PetCo? I've already gotten one from there 2 years ago and she eats fine drinks (I keep her on a diet of MRP powder and gut fed crickets which are from PetCo too. Would it not be smart to breed them?

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Would It be dangerous to get a Crested Gecko from PetCo? I've already gotten one from there 2 years ago and she eats fine drinks (I keep her on a diet of MRP powder and gut fed crickets which are from PetCo too. Would it not be smart to breed them?
Other than personal opinions on supporting companies like petco there is no danger in buying from them or breeding animals obtained from them and you shouldn't let any other hobbyist bully you into thinking there is. On the other hand you should be aware of the conditions in which many animals at stores like petco are kept and know why people don't like these stores and you should make up your own mind. Some of the animals obtained from stores may not be of the same quality when first acquired but with proper care they can be just as healthy as ones obtained from breeders.

As far as breeding I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking about breeding crested geckos from petco specifically or breeding crested geckos in general. If it is the first I see no reason whatsoever if you wanted to breed your crested geckos that came from petco that you shouldn't do so provided they are healthy. If it is the former that opens up a whole other question of should I breed my animals. There is a glut of crested geckos out there right now and you should ask yourself if you want to contribute to it but again that is a question only you can answer.

There are a lot of subjects in the animal keeping hobby that are very polarizing and both sides can be equally vocal. The vast majority of them come down to nothing more than personal opinion and you should not feel compelled to come down on either side provided you have formed your opinion in an educated manner. No matter what you decide you will have someone tell you you are wrong and IMO that is wrong. As long as you are comfortable with why you took the side you did that is really all that matters.