Creating Frankenstein's

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
And that is why I'm have not purchased any Mexican species from local hobbyists in the USA or from Europe. I will purchase my Mexican species from Mexico that I've been purchasing from in the last year.
I feel the same way towards the vast majority of species in the pet trade. Fortunately one of the guys, if not the only guy, exporting these Brachypelma species from Mexico lately is also a researcher that doesn't just make up scientific names. Unfortunately for the vast majority of tarantulas being sold in the pet trade, people sell them without a proper ID. I'm more worried about accidental hybrids produced by hobbyists due to a lack of the proper identification of the species being sold. That being said I won't touch hobby Aphonopelma species due to that exact same reason.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Rub it in? No man like I said species that were imported from Mexico over a year ago and those species are still up for sale. The problem is most hobbyists are looking for the cheapest less expensive tarantulas they could possibly get.
I'm simply saying no way no how from everything that I've seen and heard of on Facebook groups and videos I will no longer be touching any Mexican species that were captive born in the US or from Europe. I'm not taking that gamble anymore I'm starting fresh with some of these species.
It's a personal preference I chose mine and had the opportunity to get stock that were imported directly from the taxonomists, others still have that chance to acquire new fresh bloodline, whether they want too or care that is the question.

I've never seen those videos until yesterday I'm a bit disappointed what this hobby has become.............hybrids for an easy buck and for experimental reasons that's what comes down too.
i wouldn't say "what its come down too"
as with anything there are those people who are naturally curious.
now with what I'm about to say, dont think I in ANY way support hybridization of tarantula species by people like this. because i dont. at all.

but at some point people are going to get curious and try it. its happened with most other type of hobbies that involve animals. people have tried it with snakes, and other reptiles. they've tried it with frogs/amphibians, with birds, ETC.

keep in mind, even in nature, there has been some type of hybridization, but obviously nature works its course and its usually rare, and usually doesn't end with hundreds of offspring being sold or exposed to the world like in the case of these you tube videos.

basicly, with any hobby, experimentation like this was bound to happen, but in this case, its unfortunate that its in the hands of Amateur collectors(who I'm willing to bet are going to try to sell the young and not make people aware of them being hybrids, which is absolutely horrible) and not in the hands of somebody doing it for PURE research purposes.
I've always held the stand point that i dont mind that somebody tries to do this, as long as its done by a trained biologist/entomologists/taxonomist, in a scientific setting, with absolutely no chance/way the offspring would ever be released/sold/exposed to anywhere outside of said lab. but again, at the end of the day, every community/population has its right amount of stupid, the tarantula hobby is sadly not excluded from this. its just sad to see them, not only willing to do this, but being so proud of it.

i personally dont see the need or want to do this(outside of PURELY scientific studies and what not, and even then, Only if theres possibly good reasoning behind it) because as stated, there are already hundreds of species of tarantulas already(with many more still being discovered) and nature has done such a beautiful job of giving us a immensely diverse list to choose from.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
I feel the same way towards the vast majority of species in the pet trade. Fortunately one of the guys, if not the only guy, exporting these Brachypelma species from Mexico lately is also a researcher that doesn't just make up scientific names. Unfortunately for the vast majority of tarantulas being sold in the pet trade, people sell them without a proper ID. I'm more worried about accidental hybrids produced by hobbyists due to a lack of the proper identification of the species being sold. That being said I won't touch hobby Aphonopelma species due to that exact same reason.
agreed with this. and its sad that even with me being a native resident of arizona, where we literally have so many of these species literally in our backyard, you cant even get a accurately identified species. i would love to breed some A. Chalcodes, yet i won't even begin to touch the mess that is the Aphonopelma's in the hobby.

ryan w

Arachnopeon
Surely that avic x Grammy pairing won't produce viable offspring?
Hybridisation is my biggest bug bare in this hobby. Thank God for the Nicaraguan b.albo's that have entered the hobby in the last couple of years, if only people can now stop breeding the so called "hobby" vagans crossed things!

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
I have not seen so many cancerous videos in such a long time. Ugghh I need some serious chemo after this nonsense.