Crazy tarantula prices??

Newtot

Arachnosquire
Its been a while since i was in the hobby but im just curious is it just me or did the prices of tarantulas go way up?? $80 for a female B abulpilosum, used to be able to get for $30-40. Everything seems to have gone up quite a bit.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I still see them often around $50, but for $80, very seldom.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Check out my thread "back at it" in this same category. I asked the same thing because I've been out of the hobby since around 2012 and came back with the same question.

Welcome back!

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
It befuddles me that folks will pay exorbitant prices for specimens that are hard to find, or “first American sac”, or super colorful as slings, only to ultimately have a big brown spider two years down the road, that by the way then could be had for $150 less than what they paid. The most tremendously gorgeous and exhilarating specimens are generally quite inexpensive, e.g., H. macs, orange Bobs, S. cals, Phormics, etc.. Heck, I bought my last H. mac and S. cal for $16.00, which for the H. mac is $8.00 more than the one I recently got for free. And I mean it with all sincerity that I would not trade them for any other spiders. Have I dug deep in the wallet for a couple of mine? Yep, and I’m not a bit sorry. However, I like my little African arboreal psychos just as much.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I got my adult female b. albo for 29$ I think.........

I don’t understand T prices either. I can’t find a lot of consistency.

Moebius

Arachnopeon
Dealer wise, I expect to pay more up here in Canada for females, just the nature of the beast, getting anything female sub $50 bucks is rare compared to US hobby forms and popular breeders.
Was it a hobby form, or one of the Nicuraguan females? I expect the latter to go for a nice bit more.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I'm from the UK so all of your prices are crazy to me :rofl:

I think the only species I've seen get more expensive over time is G. pulchra, 3 years ago a 5cm DLS female was £30, the same size female now is £55 and slings are £25 each.

Newtot

Arachnosquire
Dealer wise, I expect to pay more up here in Canada for females, just the nature of the beast, getting anything female sub $50 bucks is rare compared to US hobby forms and popular breeders.
Was it a hobby form, or one of the Nicuraguan females? I expect the latter to go for a nice bit more.
Im not sure i paid $39 for my Nicaraguan female.

It just seems there that when i was last in the hobby a few years ago, you could get females of certain species much cheaper. Now everything is over $100. I got a female P cambridgei back them for around $50 at 3" i think and a female h mac full adult for like $60-$80.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The US are terrible at retailing prices for sure. If anyone wants me to, I'll try to contact them and ask about the high prices in the US. I'm talking about those big brand-name dealers.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I bought an M. balfouri last weekend for 120 USD. It’s a good 1.75” and I could have gotten a 0.5” for 80. Considering the fact that I didn’t have to pay for shipping, I’m pretty happy with my purchase. Even if I could have gotten it cheaper somewhere else, I’m still glad I gave my money to the regular T guy at my local reptile show because he’s a really nice guy who knows his stuff and always has an impeccable selection.

Vulksgren

Arachnopeon
I bought an M. balfouri last weekend for 120 USD. It’s a good 1.75” and I could have gotten a 0.5” for 80. Considering the fact that I didn’t have to pay for shipping, I’m pretty happy with my purchase. Even if I could have gotten it cheaper somewhere else, I’m still glad I gave my money to the regular T guy at my local reptile show because he’s a really nice guy who knows his stuff and always has an impeccable selection.
I wish I had a T. guy to sell to me. Hopefully I will find one in the Seattle area.