craiziest coming out reactions

Echolalia

Arachnosquire
I've mostly gotten then "you're disgusting, what's wrong with you" comments. But occasionally, I get someone that's really excited and loves them. I'm so glad my boyfriend thinks they're great.

Mara

Arachnopeon
I've never had any mean or over the top comments or reactions, really. Mostly a good-natured "you're crazy" or "I'm not going to visit your place".
I guess I'm lucky to be surrounded by open-minded and tolerant people. Or maybe they're just very polite, heh.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When the UPS dude delivered the Ts, he handed the box to me, as i was setting it down to sign i said "...Tarantulas" , he said "Whaat?" i followed with a "Yup" he then said "really" and i replied with another "YuP"
Accepted / Prohibited Live Animals
Accepted Live Animals

"UPS Prohibited Live Animals

Live Animals that are prohibited from being shipped and are not accepted for transportation include, but are not limited to:

Any poisonous, venomous or threatening animal
Any Threatened or Endangered species
Arachnids (All): Examples: mites, scorpions, spiders, ticks
Birds (All)
Crocodiles (All): Examples: alligators, caimans, gavials
Mammals (All)
Obnoxious Insects: Examples: flies, locusts, mosquitoes, roaches, termites, weevils
Snakes (All): venomous and non-venomous"

Next time don't say anything.

SgtSparkles

Arachnosquire
i find that when people find out i have t's they all react in the usual disgusted manor but there is always at least one in the group that has to come confess to wanting one

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
This one isn't crazy, not in a negative way, but I was pretty surprised – in high-school, when my English teacher found out I keep spiders, she wasn't freaked out at all, but surprised and found it interesting and asked me stuff about them. It turned out her husband is fascinated by spiders and snakes, didn't have any at home but was a fan, and she asked me the next time we met if her husband and their little boy could visit me and see my spiders. They did and they loved the spiders, we talked a lot about them, it was a pleasant afternoon.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
This
The worst reaction I get is when I tell women I have a collection of spiders at home. It's hard enough getting a girl to go out with you. But it's much more difficult convincing them to go out with you again once they learn you have a bunch of big hairy spiders in your apartment.
And this.

Yeah, I used to keep snakes as well, so I know what you mean about overloading people.

Once a guy in the LPS, when he found out I had snakes and "numerous" tarantulas (he asked, I didn't want to give an exact number ;) ) said to me "no, pretty girls do NOT keep pets like that". I was initially flattered, but then proceeded to tell him that he would be surprised by the # of "pretty girls" that keeps spiders and snakes and other exotics.
;)

Tweak

Arachnosquire
I just find it funny that when I tell my friends their so uninformed they all assume it's a forgone conclusion that one will escape and murder me in my sleep haha

Rich65

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had the girl at the postal store find out what I wa shipping and receiving in the mail...at first she freaked out and didn't want to even touch the box...Once I showed her some pics and educated her a bit, she started to become fasinated by them, in 6 months she was holding a B. smithi large sling and then an adult male...Now she wants one of her own..It's amazing how a little bit of our passion and knowledge can change someone's fear and misconceptions. We now have a future hobbiest. find it's pretty awesome to share our passions, worked with the snakes as well....Funny how many myths and crazy beliefs people have with insects and reptiles.

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There was this guy from Dubai (first thing I thought of was dubia) that asked me to sit with him on campus several weeks ago to ask how he could go about making english his official second language. We looked up a bunch of stuff on my laptop and I was able to help him out. Afterwards, we talked for hours and I couldn't help but ask if he had any hobbies, setting up an opportunity to share my passion {D he didn't have any hobbies of his own but after making him guess several times on what mine was, I removed the windows on my screen to show my wallpaper, P. cambridei. He screamed so loud, I couldn't help but laugh :sarcasm: I went on to show him all the pictures of my Ts and did a Google images search on P. metallica, no one could say no to those flawless blue and yellow legs. Although he was still uneasy, he was nowhere as fearful as he originally was.

Jterry

Arachnosquire
I work at the nurses station at a hospital, where I sit in front of a computer all day and process doctor's orders. Any down-time that I have is spent brwsing Arachnoboards and various other T sites. Most of my co-workers (mostly nurses) know about my hobby at this point, and some even ask how my T's are. Their initial reactions are always "No way! Really?" But once I show them pictures of my juvie A. Versi, they get all melty and "Aww, I didn't know that tarantulas could be such a beautiful color! She's so pretty!"
However, the best reaction I got was when a case manager came up behind me, saw what I was looking at (Googling pictures of Suntigers haha) And couldn't even look at the computer screen!

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When I tell co-workers of my Ts, they really wish to see them eventually. They seem fascinated instead of being creeped out. They always get a kick when I bring in some pictures of my girls.

I'm glad no one is negative concerning them. Anyone that knows about my hobby is curious about them and their well being, which is really awesome ! Heck, even the LPS clerks ask about my spiders when I go to get some crickets for them.

arachnidsrva

Arachnoknight
i love it when some white trash piece makes a comment like..... "thats digustinnnnnn" sound, or "grosssssssss", or "thats so scaryyyyyyyyyyyyy"

yet, we're in a giant building with rattlesnakes, alligators, copperheads and black mambas all for sale - along with other salmonella carrying critters.

Skeleton-Man

Arachnopeon
My mother when she saw my terrarium in my room with my first T in it. She acted very similar to bradd pitt in the end of se7en but was not waiving a 45 around.
HA HA! that comparison fits so well, that reaction is priceless lol