Craigslist tarantula question HELP

dustinv91

Arachnopeon
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pet/6758076067.html

Is the P. cancerides male or female? It says it 7 inches so according to the research I’ve done it says that’s about their max size so I’d imagine it’s mature but I thought females were a lot less purple. I don’t see any hooks or anything. The guy has had them for 2 years and didn’t keep its last molt. I’d hate to buy a male and not have a female. The L.p is already sold so I’m getting all of it for 150.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
That P. cancerides is a Male and a MM as well. Meaning he won't live much longer. The LP looks to be MM as well to me. And the G. pulchripes, well... who knows until you ventral sex it.

dustinv91

Arachnopeon
That P. cancerides is a Male and a MM as well. Meaning he won't live much longer. The LP looks to be MM as well to me. And the G. pulchripes, well... who knows until you ventral sex it.
That’s what I was afraid of. So probably not worth it?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I’d hate to get him with out a female lined up. Would you have anything to trade? Or just a 50/50?
Just a 50/50 unless you're interested in P. murinus slings, or a future possible trade if I get sacs from my other girls of different species. But 150$ is waaaay too much for those three spiders.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
That’s what I was afraid of. So probably not worth it?
Are you getting the dubia colony as well. Because Here's how I would Price the tarantulas like:
LP (it is MM by looking at the pedipalps as it have bulbs) - Worth FREE- $30.00 at most
P. cancerides (MM) - Worth $35-$55 at most
G. pulchripes around 4.5''-5''??(should ask for ventral) - worth around $20-$35 if male, and $60-$120 if female
Dubias are priced all over the place, so can't really range it for you.

dustinv91

Arachnopeon
The deal was 150 for the P. cancerides, the G. pulchripes, and the Dubia colony (the lp is gone). I already have a pulchripes I was mostly interested in the P. cancerides and figured the Dubia colony and the pulchripes would just be icing on the cake. I was just confused by it.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
@Teal is the best choice for you, if you plan to get them. MM are always needed for the P. cancerides.

cold blood

Staff member
How does this person selling think a dubia colony is worth $250 alone? That dubia colony is worth $25, maybe $35 tops.

The MM cancerides is worth a solid $50....offer that, if he takes it, you have a good deal offered from teal provided you are confident shipping him.

Also note, its important to know when he matured, or, when his last molt was. If it was more than 6 months ago, teal likely wont want him as hed be past his breeding prime and therefore be a completely value-less t.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
If I were you, I'd ask for a clear ventral shot of the G. pulchripes to help determine whether I bought the lot. I admittedly don't know the value of a MM P. cancerides, but always consider the fact that perhaps it's worth it to you. I've knowingly bought immature and mature males simply because of the opportunity it provides. I've now got 3 MMs out on loan with the possibility of getting some slings out of the deals, and an immature male B. hamorii that will also be offered up whenever he matures. But the fact is that if I had chosen to do 50/50 splits with the people I'm dealing with (which I didn't opt for, for a handful of reasons), I would easily make my money back for everything. So even a price like that can be worth it if you're willing to put the time and effort into it to raise up some slings and get your money's worth

dustinv91

Arachnopeon
Yeah I just backed out. He doesn’t know when it matured and thinks I’m lying to him about it being male, I didn’t even offer him less money just told him that it was a male.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah I just backed out. He doesn’t know when it matured and thinks I’m lying to him about it being male, I didn’t even offer him less money just told him that it was a male.
Ugh. Which means some poor unsuspecting person is going to pay him that much money and get spiders that are going to die soon.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
How does this person selling think a dubia colony is worth $250 alone? That dubia colony is worth $25, maybe $35 tops.

Where do you buy your dubia? Not saying it is worth 250, but i don't think i've seen anywhere selling that many for a mere $35.

cold blood

Staff member
Where do you buy your dubia? Not saying it is worth 250, but i don't think i've seen anywhere selling that many for a mere $35.
Anything local like a craigslist will have sellers with surplus to sell....and it takes only a smaller batch to start a colony...if someone wanted to give me that many, it better come with a bearded lizard.

Personally I got a handful from a friend, a mature male from a pet store and built my....cough cough...$250 colony from that.:shifty:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Anything local like a craigslist will have sellers with surplus to sell....and it takes only a smaller batch to start a colony...if someone wanted to give me that many, it better come with a bearded lizard.

Personally I got a handful from a friend, a mature male from a pet store and built my....cough cough...$250 colony from that.:shifty:

Hahaha. Guess it dempends on what's locally available and how long you want to wait for them. Every time i see them locally people expect retail prices... Got some good priced hissers once though. :)

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
lol....the met took like 7 attempts before getting the job done.
Still better than my two N. chromatus males. From the sounds of it, they consistently freeze up and one almost ended up as food.

Hahaha. Guess it dempends on what's locally available and how long you want to wait for them. Every time i see them locally people expect retail prices... Got some good priced hissers once though. :)
The cheapest way to start a colony is to just buy a few adult feeders from a pet store and just let the females live. I don't think I've ever gotten an adult female feeder of any type from a pet store that wasn't gravid. I just bought some lobster roaches the other day, and already have double what I bought because at least one had babies.