Craiglist B. Boehmei?

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
20180116_232736.png

Saw this T pop up on Craigslist today. Would you guys go for it if you were me? I was thinking of waiting a couple days and maybe making a lower offer.

Also, that is a B. boehmei right? I can't put my finger on it, but something about it looks off to me (but maybe it's just that obese spider butt :p).

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Sketchy as hell. What they posted is an Instagram screenshot, and I just looked up that account. They posted that picture just over a month ago with that cute little caption about adding to the animal kingdom. Very, very suspect.

MSRT

Arachnopeon
I'd use a burner email, maybe ask for more pictures, low ball and offer to pick up with cash at a public location. Fast cash usually sweetens low ball offers. But I only have three Ts and am a little itchy for more. :rofl:

The instagram pic looks to be legit. Same user has a video in a public spot which is the same location as the craigslist post. Btw, your picture shows your public craigslist location. I would edit it if you aren't comfortable with that info being shown.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
I'd use a burner email, maybe ask for more pictures, low ball and offer to pick up with cash at a public location. Fast cash usually sweetens low ball offers. But I only have three Ts and am a little itchy for more. :rofl:

The instagram pic looks to be legit. Same user has a video in a public spot which is the same location as the craigslist post. Btw, your picture shows your public craigslist location. I would edit it if you aren't comfortable with that info being shown.
I don't really care, but I edited it anyway. How lowball do you think I should go if I decide to act on it? I was thinking of offering 50 bucks or less, honestly.

EDIT: Looking at the contact info, it looks like they only provided a phone number to text. The other contact is the Craigslist email, which in my experience never gets checked and there's no real point in trying to write an email to it. Should I still make an offer or nah?

EDIT EDIT: Although it is a little odd that they just got the spider and are now rehoming it, the Instagram in general doesn't seem too scammer-ish.

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Its probably just a pic screenshotted from someone elses IG account for reference.

They claim its in critter keeper but the photo from IG is in glass tank.

The add doesnt seem suspect to me though.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Who gets one and then sells it a month later? My only guess for a legit reason to do that is that it's a big hair kicker, and they react badly to the hairs.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Its probably just a pic screenshotted from someone elses IG account for reference.

They claim its in critter keeper but the photo from IG is in glass tank.

The add doesnt seem suspect to me though.
I dmed the account to find out this exact thing..

Swoop

Arachnosquire
There are great deals to be had on craigslist but approach with caution and low expectations.

Pictures of the actual tarantula for sale are a plus.

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
I don't really care, but I edited it anyway. How lowball do you think I should go if I decide to act on it? I was thinking of offering 50 bucks or less, honestly.

EDIT: Looking at the contact info, it looks like they only provided a phone number to text. The other contact is the Craigslist email, which in my experience never gets checked and there's no real point in trying to write an email to it. Should I still make an offer or nah?

EDIT EDIT: Although it is a little odd that they just got the spider and are now rehoming it, the Instagram in general doesn't seem too scammer-ish.
Had a couple questions that I'm reposting so they don't get buried. If the Instagram account isn't this person's, they planned this carefully because the account is certainly local.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Yeah @Tia B. Yes- Offer a lower price, ask for pics and more info. That sounds like a good plan.

I have gotten responses from the Craiglist email. When I post stuff on there that is what I use because I don't want weirdos to have my phone number or real email address.

And probably goes without saying, but if you get the T- meet in a public place or take someone with you. It can get sketchy real quick with this kind of stuff and it is better to be cautious.

I recently saw a MM P Irminia for sale on CL in my area and it said it wouldn't come with an enclosure. I was like "ehhh everything about this sounds bad".

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
Yeah @Tia B. Yes- Offer a lower price, ask for pics and more info. That sounds like a good plan.

I have gotten responses from the Craiglist email. When I post stuff on there that is what I use because I don't want weirdos to have my phone number or real email address.

And probably goes without saying, but if you get the T- meet in a public place or take someone with you. It can get sketchy real quick with this kind of stuff and it is better to be cautious.

I recently saw a MM P Irminia for sale on CL in my area and it said it wouldn't come with an enclosure. I was like "ehhh everything about this sounds bad".
So I sent a message to the email. This is what I said:

Hello, I saw your ad about the B. boehmei tarantula and am interested. I was wondering if I could get another picture and some information about the spider. Do you have any idea how old the spider is? How big is she?

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
So I sent a message to the email. This is what I said:

Hello, I saw your ad about the B. boehmei tarantula and am interested. I was wondering if I could get another picture and some information about the spider. Do you have any idea how old the spider is? How big is she?
Well, after a few back and forth emails, it sounds like they do want to get rid of the spider because it's kicking hairs. It also sounds like they've had no other interested parties and want the spider gone. I may be getting a free B. boehmei....

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
The fact that it's kicking hairs is kind of a dumb reason to get rid of a tarantula to me. But I hope you get it. It is one of the most beautiful species out there.

Lithobius

Arachnosquire
Yup I'd go for it, especially after the text exchange you mentioned. Though I would probably ask for an updated pic that isn't the IG pic. A friend of mine got a great spider on Craigslist that was only acting aggressive because of construction across the street from its original owner. Once she had it for a while it calmed down, stopped kicking hairs, and actually has a pretty sweet disposition.

nburgmei

Arachnopeon
I'd definitely ask for an updated photo just for confirmation, but if you can get a female B. boehmei on the cheap that's great.

I got one female each of B. hamorii, E. campestratus, and G. rosea for cheap a few months back from a Craigslist ad. I had a cop friend go meet them to pick them up for me. That helps ensure no funny business!

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Maybe they should stop bothering it and it will stop kicking hairs. :playful: Anyway, if you buy that species, wouldn't you just assume they kick hairs?

Hey- that's your gain though! Hopefully you get that T for free @Tia B !

cold blood

Staff member
I would pass on that, but that’s just me.
Why, if it is a female, its already listed at a great price.

Sketchy as hell. What they posted is an Instagram screenshot, and I just looked up that account. They posted that picture just over a month ago with that cute little caption about adding to the animal kingdom. Very, very suspect.
I fail to comprehend how or what is suspect....just looks like someone selling a t.

Who gets one and then sells it a month later? My only guess for a legit reason to do that is that it's a big hair kicker, and they react badly to the hairs.
Lots of people.

This species is know as the fire leg...not because of color, but because of the burning sensation their hairs have on most people. Their hairs are bad and they tend to flick freely...but they are very good looking.

Do you have any idea how old the spider is?
You have been around here long enough to know that asking age is completely pointless and irrelevant.

Well, after a few back and forth emails, it sounds like they do want to get rid of the spider because it's kicking hairs. It also sounds like they've had no other interested parties and want the spider gone. I may be getting a free B. boehmei....
That's fantastic...fee is the ultimate deal.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Whoa, Tia! I saw this and started to get all worked up, thinking it was clearly a scam since that same ad appears on MY local Craigslist! Then I realized--oh wait, you live in Tucson and I'm in Phoenix. It's a local listing. Well duh! :p