1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crab ID

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Tleilaxu, May 18, 2017.

1. Tleilaxu

Tleilaxu Arachnoprince Old Timer

Advertisement
    Caught this cute little land crab while bug hunting. Area is around Palm Beach Florida, it was found in surprisingly dry conditions, under a large rock, sandy soil and dry leaves.

IMG_20170518_184017.jpg IMG_20170518_183945.jpg IMG_20170518_183903.jpg IMG_20170518_183830.jpg

I released it back to its general location after the pics were taken.

2. Aquarimax

Aquarimax Arachnobaron Active Member

Utah
    This may help--I found a crab in Miami Beach, Florida under a large rock, with drying sand and leaves as well. I wonder if it is the same species. It was quite large! Check it out at 2:52

3. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnobaron Active Member

@Aquarimax yours looks like a gecarcinid, which I think makes it Cardisoma guanhumi, although to me the colors don't look right. I guess it might be introduced.

4. Aquarimax

Aquarimax Arachnobaron Active Member

Utah
    Thanks! Do you think the OP's crab is a juvenile of the same species?

5. schmiggle

No, the carapace is the wrong shape. I'd say a different family entirely; I'll see what I can turn up.

6. schmiggle

The OP's crab is a sesarmid, not sure what species

• Award Award x 1
  7. Tleilaxu

Tleilaxu Arachnoprince Old Timer

Closest match is Sesarma cinereum. Well done.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dragonfire1577

dragonfire1577 Arachnobaron Active Member

I believe Armases cinereum is the proper classification currently, awesome find!

• Informative Informative x 1