Coyote Peterson

Margot J

Arachnosquire
I just watched Coyote Peterson's Nephila Clavipes handling video. He went on for ten minutes about how their bite can kill you and that it is as bad as a black widow bite. I have gotten mixed signals from him- Is he amazingly brave and educational, curing people's arachnophobia? Or reckless and spreading false information? Please share your own opinions on Coyote, I don't mean to give him a bad reputation.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I just watched Coyote Peterson's Nephila Clavipes handling video. He went on for ten minutes about how their bite can kill you and that it is as bad as a black widow bite. I have gotten mixed signals from him- Is he amazingly brave and educational, curing people's arachnophobia? Or reckless and spreading false information? Please share your own opinions on Coyote, I don't mean to give him a bad reputation.
If I had to be fair, he's actually hit or miss on information regarding a lot of animals. Some videos he's accurate and some he's very far off. From what I've seen, all his videos concerning him getting bitten, stung, or whatnot has been overly inaccurate. Anything regarding those bites and stuff is just for act and isn't accurate or informative. When it comes to mammals, and "some" amphibians, he's got the BasIcS (Bare bottom) right. If I had to be honest, his videos are meant for kids not adults. Why I don't like his videos is because anything that is "venemous" in his videos tends to get an even worse reputation, making people want to kill those animals with fire even more. In conclusion, his videos are hit or miss on information, especially the venemous bite "series". I won't lie though, "some" videos are accurate, which I must give credit to him for, but it's "pop information" for kids, not a biology 101 lesson class. But I wouldn't watch his video for a biology class since his info is "bare basics 101" with hit or miss info.

NYAN

Arachnoking
He went on for ten minutes about how their bite can kill you and that it is as bad as a black widow bite.

Are you serious or is this an exaggeration?

Is he amazingly brave and educational, curing people's arachnophobia? Or reckless and spreading false information?
He’s neither in my opinion. He’s just a children’s themed animal planet type show. Sometimes he makes good videos, sometimes he makes stupid ones. Sometimes the information is ok, sometimes he misidentifies stuff, exaggerates stuff (all of his bite and sting videos), sometimes his information is flat out wrong.

I don’t see any bravery. I suppose he’s sort of educational though. I doubt he cures any phobia, and he probably makes them worse if what you are saying is correct.

I’m not a fan of him. I’m not a fan of these popular channels because they have to make videos that appeal to the average person.

Margot J

Arachnosquire
Thanks for all of your feedback. I agree with all of you and I'll probably just steer clear of Coyote in the future.
Answering for NYAN, yes, at one point he compared it to a black widow.
I used to think that he was so brave for being stung and/or bitten by pretty much everything. Now I've thought about it and seen some more of his videos, and I can see through my awe that he is super dramatic and putting even more fear into arachnophobes.
Thank you all again for your opinions and feel free to post more.
~Margot

In my opinion, being bitten/stung by any of the "DEADLY/KILLER/CREEPY/MONSTER" creatures he "showcases" has got to be way less excruciating than having to actually watch his show...

I grew up on Steve Irwin who in all honesty isn't a million miles away, but Coyote and his show just seem shallow and at least a bit exploitative of gullible children. The constant plugging of products and other social media etc always leaves a bad taste in my mouth too, but that's the world today I guess.

All the same, I give props to anyone educating people about our incredible planet, even if the info may be slightly off at times.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I grew up on Steve Irwin who in all honesty isn't a million miles away
I wouldn't compare Steve Irwin to Coyote Peterson. The info in S.I's show was pretty accurate, and he stressed avoiding getting bit rather getting bit intentionally. Which made sense since the many of the animals Steve Irwin handled really were dangerous.

I wouldn't compare Steve Irwin to Coyote Peterson.
I'm not dissing ol' Stevo, the man is a true legend in my eyes, the Bob Marley of herptology! I still have my Steve and Terri (and Sui the dog!) action figs from when I was a kid, as well as his remote control Toyota Landcruiser!!
Yeah, he was spot on most of the time and really was an expert, but there were a few moments I distinctly remember made me go "Huh?"... notably the part in the Croc Hunter movie with the Goliath Birdeater... In the Australian Outback XD

To the masses, Irwin and Peterson are superficially the same. I strongly disagree with that sentiment but he seems to have filled the Irwin-sized hole in a lot of people's hearts adequately.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I'm not dissing ol' Stevo, the man is a true legend in my eyes, the Bob Marley of herptology! I still have my Steve and Terri (and Sui the dog!) action figs from when I was a kid, as well as his remote control Toyota Landcruiser!!
Yeah, he was spot on most of the time and really was an expert, but there were a few moments I distinctly remember made me go "Huh?"... notably the part in the Croc Hunter movie with the Goliath Birdeater... In the Australian Outback XD

To the masses, Irwin and Peterson are superficially the same. I strongly disagree with that sentiment but he seems to have filled the Irwin-sized hole in a lot of people's hearts adequately.
I didn't think you were dissing Steve, I was just remarking that they don't really have much in common, other than handling "dangerous" animals. I have a feeling Steve wouldn't have thought much of Coyote Peterson either.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
notably the part in the Croc Hunter movie with the Goliath Birdeater... In the Australian Outback XD
The low down I got on that stupid spider scene. Unlike Steve's documentaries that movie was a commercial professional production where Steve was not in charge of all the details. They wanted big bad spider scene they got one.
Word has it most of Steve's close chums were disgusted with that movie. A sell out. They refused to have anything to do with it. One word I heard was Steve's mate Wes boycotted the entire affair.
Anyway, there is an interview with Teri which has subsequently been pulled but may still be around where she mentioned Steve did that movie for a lark. Thought it would be fun. He never thought about the negative aspects and the fiction that got associated with him and his endeavors.

Last edited:
The low down I got on that stupid spider scene. Unlike Steve's documentaries that movie was a commercial professional production where Steve was not in charge of all the details. They wanted big bad spider scene they got one.
Word has it most of Steve's close chums were disgusted with that movie. A sell out. They refused to have anything to do with it. One word I heard was Steve's mate Wes boycotted the entire affair.
Fascinating! I knew the movie was regarded as a bit of a spoof, but never thought about why Wes and the rest of the AU crew don't make an appearance...
Terri said in her book that Steve agreed to do the movie to promote both the show and his zoo/wildlife trust, just a shame MGM didn't let him take the wheel entirely.

Nevertheless, I will always treasure my VHS Copy :D

The Snark

Old Timer
just a shame MGM didn't let him take the wheel entirely.
Movie $tudio$ rule the production with an iron fist. It was pretty obvious to me who has followed Steve's endeavors since my visit to AZ in the 1990s, that Terri felt it was an affront to her honorary doctorate just being in that movie. But she was always 100% solid support for Steve wherever his paths led.

Last edited:
Movie $tudio$ rule the production with an iron fist. It was pretty obvious to me who has followed Steve's endeavors since my visit to AZ in the 1990s, that Terri felt it was an affront to her honorary doctorate just being in that movie. But she was always 100% solid support for Steve wherever his paths led.
That's dissapointing to hear. And yeah, her role in the movie is basically to stand around saying "Wow, nice one Steve"...

I was only 10 years old when Steve passed so I never got the opportunity to see him in person :(

The Snark

Old Timer
I was only 10 years old when Steve passed so I never got the opportunity to see him in person
You didn't miss much. Steve's life was 100% go and animal-centric every waking moment. Nobody got more than a few seconds of his time except the animals and those caring for them. I caught a few glimpses of him at the zoo by chance. Made me wonder where the heck he got all that energy.
One thing that doesn't come across in his videos. He was that way, go go go constantly. But that was almost always in 100F+ heat and several zillion insects constantly making your life miserable. In the outback they call it the Australian wave. Waving a hand in front of your face every few seconds. How they got all those videos without seeing someone doing the wave is still a mystery to me. An awful lot of cut footage.

Last edited:

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
Yeah, he's nothing like Steve. Steve did his best to not get bitten and I don't remember him ever sensationalizing a bite. I also hate the way Coyote handles some of his captures, especially those he jumps on or uses tweezers with. I'm fairly certain he hurt a lot of the animals he "works with".

I faintly remember one episode where he caught this aquatic creature that releases a purple ooze to escape predators and he kept squeezing it to show off what it could do.

I faintly remember one episode where he caught this aquatic creature that releases a purple ooze to escape predators and he kept squeezing it to show off what it could do.
We should do the same to Coyote, although he's been oozing toxic slime for years already ;)