1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could You Do It?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Arthroverts, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    Hello all, I have a 1 Big Question for the day.
    Could you sleep with your head next to your tarantulas or other invertebrates?

I currently have a sleeping arrangement where a lot of my invertebrates are within a foot of my head at night. I can hear my assassin bugs flying around at night, my scorpions tapping on the plastic, beetles prowling around, and sometimes even my tarantulas grabbing at a cricket. So, could/would you do it? Or is that the one part of the hobby that freaks you out?
    I'm looking forward to seeing your responses :)!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• Like Like x 2
  2. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnodemon Active Member

Iowa
    I sleep like a baby with my 6.5" female P. regalis within a foot of my head. She sings the sweetest lullabies. :angelic::troll:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Award Award x 1
  3. krbshappy71

krbshappy71 Arachnosquire Active Member

I'm a super-light sleeper. I need it completely dark, sound machine on, or to be kept up for days first before I could sleep with the noise. But! It's not out of fear that I wouldn't sleep, I wuv my critters. I really like that the scorpion tap-taps on the glass, I feel like he is saying Hi...feed me. Sometimes the dogs we sleep with will wake me and I'll wander to the critter room with a flashlight to say hi to them all.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    I could, I love hearing them scuttle around. However, the bedroom is Cat's domain.

I used to love the chirping of the crickets back in the day when I used crickets, it would drive my guests crazy. :hilarious:

5. lostbrane

lostbrane Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

I tend to roam around my mattress at night so for their safety I wouldn’t sleep with them that close.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

Absolutely, I would have no problem with it. And, the odd time that I do fall asleep watching television on the couch, they are right there next to my head. I live in a big city, so noise doesn't bother me and mine try to keep it down for the most part. ;)

7. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor

My noise machine is Poecilotheria launching themselves at crickets. :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. draconisj4

draconisj4 Arachnobaron Active Member

My two bins of Dubia roaches are in my bedroom about 2 feet away from my head, I can hear them scrabbling around on their egg crates at night. Doesn't bother me a bit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas Arachnosupporter

London
    Yes, have done this even though I don't do it currently. They don't make any noise and that would be my only concern.

10. velvetundergrowth

velvetundergrowth Lobopro Arachnosupporter

Yes, but within reason. Hermit Crabs and scorpions no way - I can't deal with the sound of miniature roadworks when I'm trying to get 50 winks

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnobaron Active Member

@Mirandarachnid, every now and then I have to get the male crickets out and feed them. They sound nice for lil' while, but when they all get going at 12:00 AM it gets really annoying. My family comments about it, ha ha.

@lostbrane, I've bumped the rack so many times, not least of which with my head. It mimics a wild buffalo or tapir going by the burrow in the wild though, and they aren't disturbed by it that much, so I'm O.K with it :D;).

@draconisj4, my Blaberus giganteus, Eublaberus sp. "Ivory", and Therea petiveriana will do that as well, and then I freak out and have to check on them to make sure nothing is escaping (it always seems to happen right when I'm falling asleep too).

@Minty, I once read that tarantulas/scorpions make no noise. Not true from my experience, ha ha.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Minty

Minty @londontarantulas Arachnosupporter

London
    The level of noise they make wouldn't disturb me. It's noisy fans etc, that bother my sleep.

13. WolfSoon

WolfSoon Arachnosquire Active Member

My inverts are in the bedroom with me, and the only one who has regularly bothered my sleep is my S. polymorpha. She sometimes spends the night hours running around trying to bite through her enclosure, and it’s surprisingly loud. When the crickets get too annoying I just use ear plugs. :p I’m a light sleeper so I have them on hand anyway.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  14. lostbrane

lostbrane Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

I’m just likely to smash through if not knock the whole enclosure down...

Just as an example I was trying to reach for my phone one morning and wound up punching the wall instead.

• Funny Funny x 5
  15. CommanderBacon

CommanderBacon Arachnosquire

Yeah. I'm not afraid of them, and I sleep with earplugs. I would just worry about accidentally knocking them over while being clumsy.

They are all in a bookcase at the foot of my bed, anyway.

16. disentomb

disentomb c u r s e d Arachnosupporter

LI, NY
    Directly next to my bed is my bookshelf with all of my tarantulas, so they're all within a foot of my head while I sleep. Never really questioned it before. Their crickets, however, are kept in another room - otherwise I would lose my mind!

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Kitara

Kitara Arachnosquire Active Member

US
    Meh. I have no reason to say I wouldnt other than there is nowhere to put them.

18. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnolord Active Member

Ohio
    Yes, nothing like knowing you're safe under the watchful eye of the guardian P. cancerides.

In all seriousness I do have my H. dictator, female Nicaraguan B. albopilosum, A. chalcodes 'New River' and A. geniculata on shelves just a few feet away.

The pup can't get to them thankfully.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. asunshinefix

asunshinefix Arachnopeon

Definitely, it would make me super happy to see my tarantulas first thing every morning. However, there is no way I could do it with a big tropical centipede. Just knowing what talented escape artists they are I don't think I could ever fully relax with one in my apartment, not to mention the strength of the venom. I have so much respect for those who keep them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Urzeitmensch

Urzeitmensch Arachnosquire Active Member

I have my Ts in my gaming ... er study. I sometimes sleep there and it does not bother me. They are far enough away so I won't knock them over when fumbling around in the dark.

There is no way I'd keep the crickets or worse the superworms where I sleep, though. The rustling unnervs me.

But I once or twice took the crickets out on the backyard for the summertime feeling in spring when the wild crickets were still silent. Gives a vacation vibe when relaxing in the evening.

• Funny Funny x 1