Could this be a Centipede young?

manimals

Arachnopeon
Hi there, I made an account here because I had no idea how to identify what I found.

So I had some standing water in a bucket in an old garage. When I wanted to spill it I realized that there are some things in the water, they look like some kinds of tadpoles, but after observing them under a microscope I realized that they look like very small centipedes. Now I found it strange that young centipedes would be swimming in water, but since I couldn't find any pictures on the internet of how really small centipedes look like, I decided to post here.

So here are some pictures below. Under a small microscope bunch of leg looking things are visible to their side. Scroll down for other two pics.
https://imgur.com/a/Ab0WI

manimals

Arachnopeon
Thanks for a quick reply. Wow, I had no idea that baby mosquitoes look like that. Why do they have those things to their side, that look like legs to me?
Also, now that I'm here, can you point me to a place where I can find pics of young centipedes? Just curious how they look.

kjgalaxy

Arachnosquire
They probably are legs. But google mosquito larvae and you'll find pics.
Some of the centipede owners on here have posted baby centipede pics before. You can probably find some inthe gallery, but I own millipedes and don't follow centipede discussion very often. A centipede person can probably point you to some pics. I know milli babies look like very very small white worms, probably about the size of the mosquito larvae and tend to be in a 'U' shape, at least mine have been.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think those leg-looking, hair-like things on the sides of mosquito larvae are for sensing vibrations so they can swim away from predators like minnows. I think they also facilitate swimming and stabilization in the water. They swim by wiggling around but I've also seen the swim forward slowly without any wiggling at all, I don't know how they do that.

manimals

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for the pictures. I don't think I have ever seen one so small, they seem to completely lack any pigmentation. I have some more questions, but I assume the answers can be found on the forum, so won't to be a nuisance.

Mila

Arachnoknight
baby centipedes just look like small versions of the adults (they also look like uncoloured jelly beans lol). the "legs" on that larvae are actually hairs they use to detect movement both for safety and for hunting, mosquito larvae eat small insects.