Could I...?

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Use a heating pad for a 10 gallon on a 5 gallon tank? Here's my thinking: I want to use a 10 gallon pad on a 5 gallon tank for my S. mesaensis when I get my H. arizonensis (which will be in the 10 gallon the S. mesaensis is in now). I want to do this to rather than using the pad/light combo I use on the bigger tanks. Would this work out ok? I also thought I might use a timer on the pad, incase it gets too hot. I'd really rather not use a 3rd lamp...

Any comments from the experts?

N.

Also, to address the idea that having a day/night cycle makes a healthy scorp, the 5 gallon would be next to a 10 with a lamp.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
The pad might be a bit much for a 10 gallon...I personally only use lamps of various wattages to heat my enclosures.

IMO; the lamps shining down on the surface, in addition to simulating the day/night cycle, also simulate the sun beating down on the surface and thus create a surface to bottom temperature gradient as the scorpions would experience in their natural environment. Extending on my theory; this would allow them to behave in more of a natural way.

John
];')

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kugellager
The pad might be a bit much for a 10 gallon...I personally only use lamps of various wattages to heat my enclosures.

IMO; the lamps shining down on the surface, in addition to simulating the day/night cycle, also simulate the sun beating down on the surface and thus create a surface to bottom temperature gradient as the scorpions would experience in their natural environment. Extending on my theory; this would allow them to behave in more of a natural way.

John
];')
See, I'd think that the lamp would be too much for a 5.5 gallon. It's a very small tank and I'd think the lamp wouldn't be as econimical. I mean, the pad's only 8 watts, whereas a light would be at least a 50 watt bulb.

Anyone else's opinions wouldn't hurt, either. I've seen how many of you have read this post...I know you're out there! ;P

N.

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can get very small wattage bulbs at most petstores. I believe as small as 10 or 15 watts.

Mr. X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can also buy (i dont know the word in english, but it's the thing that old the bulb....the lamp itself maybe???anyway) You can buy that thing with sort of claw coming with it so you can place you lighting source at the perfect distance above your enclosure to get the temperature you want.

I'd use it for a long time and it's working good but the only problem is that you need someting to claw your lamp to (like a shelf).

Xavier

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by neveragain
You can get very small wattage bulbs at most petstores. I believe as small as 10 or 15 watts.
Ah, yes, but try to keep the temp at 90-95F with a 10 or 15 watt bulb ;)

N.

Mr. X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
With the lamp i'm talking above, you can use 75 watt bulb and even 100 watt bulb without overheating the enclosure if you keep the right distance between the enclosure and the lamp.

By keeping a 100watt bulb aprox. 30-35cm above the enclosure in a room at 20C-23C you can easily keep the temperature inside near 30-33C

Xavier

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you use the pad from the side of the tank rather than the bottom, the risk of overheating would be greatly reduced.

Wade

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Xavier, were you using the sticked Hagen thermomether like the one I saw in one of your enclosure to check the temperature?

I used one of these in the past (sticky Hagen thermometers that you stick on the glass of the tank) and I didn't like them, they take the temperature of the air, and I think that it may be better to take the temperature of the substrate because it is where the scorpions are. I think that if they want more heat, they'll crouch on the substrate, they're not arborical snakes that will need heat in the air. The temperature in the air will be way lower than the temperature directly on substrate (if you use a light bulb).

A 100W bulb at 30cm over a 10 gallons tank will cook any animal that is hiding in... A 60W bulb at exactly 17" from the substrate (sand) was giving me 33-34C (92-93F) on the substrate, my room was at 23C (73.5F).

Mr. X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When i said 30-35 cm above the enclosure i meant 30 above the top wich mean about 60-65cm above the sand but maybe your right with the sticky thermometre, i'll check with another that you put on the sand.

Xavier