1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cotztetlana sp

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Sarkhan42, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnolord Active Member

Advertisement
    What can anyone tell me about this genus as far as habits and care? I'm intrigued by the pronounced back legs on a new world, and the coloration for the species I've seen is honestly gorgeous. Not to mention I love the genus name :). Asking really because there isn't much of anything out there, hopefully someone has some experience with them.

2. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking

Keep as you would B. vagans. Lovely genus of spiders. I hope the prices drop soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Sarkhan42

Thank you!
    Do you know anything about the growth rate perchance?

4. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking

Not sure really. But I would guess it is similar to Brachypelma growth rates.

5. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sarkhan42

7. D Sherlod

D Sherlod Arachnoknight

That is one cool looking species

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Never knew they even existed! Fascinating spiders.

9. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

Looks like an E.pachypus but in color :D
    Are they sexually dimorphic as well?

10. Sarkhan42

• Like Like x 1
  11. Andrea82

12. Sarkhan42

I'm very excited, hopefully I'll have 3 little slings coming my way early next week!

13. Sarkhan42

Unsurprisingly 2 of the 3 slings I received are HEAVY burrowers. I'm going to need to move them into deeper vials, they've dug down to the very bottom and cleaned it out completely, filling the rest of the vial with the moved dirt in the process, all the way to the lid. The third isn't doing as well unfortunately, hasn't eaten at all and no burrowing or settling in, while not being as plump as the others. Hopefully just a finicky individual.

The other interesting thing is the abdomen elongates much like an old world but in a loaf of bread shape when heavily fed, unlike the usual ballooning you get from new worlds.

I'll see if I can get some half decent pictures tonight.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Sarkhan42

B4544CD6-3A80-4622-BE5B-75AE4886CB26.jpeg

Unfortunately it’s pretty much impossible to get a good picture of the sling itself, but you can see just how much this one has cleared out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Andrea82

Wow, that is one tiny speck of a sling...!
    Busy little thing as well :D

• Love Love x 1
  16. Sarkhan42

7CFD8C1E-DEA6-463C-86FA-971A48CE4C44.jpeg C37F0746-8F64-406C-91E9-79526F0EB588.jpeg

Update!

They’ve now molted twice since I received them and put on just a little bit of size. As you can see no adult coloration yet, but the abdomen shape and the abnormal back legs are visible even now. The legs may be more difficult to see properly in the photos, but from the side they’re very obviously different.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Sarkhan42

EF7C3AA6-4DCE-481A-B218-E54BA8A449DE.jpeg

Well it seems that one sling is decently ahead of the others, and has molted once again, much darker now.

So far these guys have been lovely for me. They burrow extensively but I always find them on the surface, and they take prey without hesitation, even as large as themselves.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Nils S

Nils S Arachnopeon

I've had two slings for about a year. Have grown from 1/8" to 1/2" in that time. Keep the same as Brachy/Aphonopelma/New World Terrestrial. Mine are big burrowers as well--I give them 3-4" of substrate. They're good eaters and a pleasure to have. No leg warmers yet, looking forward to it though!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nils S

Nils S Arachnopeon

Sorry, just saw the dates on this. Looks like yours are doing great. Cheers

20. Sarkhan42

762810A3-4A36-4D86-983B-AB3730B4489B.jpeg 0F8D4C5A-C5AA-4DD1-82CF-B85AF62DBC80.jpeg

Just used a microscope to determine that this beautiful freshly molted sling is a female!!
    :p:D That’s definitely the best feeling.

• Like Like x 5