Correct set-up?

Chris_Pull

Arachnopeon
Hello!

I'm going to acquire a breeding pair of Cheloctonus sp. very soon, (the female, I'm told, has just given birth). I've only experience with tropical forest species, but I've done lots of research and I've (hopefully,) set up the right home for them. I have a few questions though.

Firstly, I'm using a sand and peat mixture as a substrate- is this ok? It's slightly damp at the moment, but it will dry out soon. I've also got a water reservoir set up, i.e. water tub sending water to the bottom of the tank, which allows water to leech up providing a moisture gradient. Is this necessary for these species? I know they are burrowers, so thought it might be a good idea.

Secondly, as I mentioned, the female is laden with young. Does anyone have any experience with breeding these? Are they difficult to raise?

Thirdly, are they cannibalistic? I.e. can I keep the male in with the female?

I think that's all of my questions!

Looking forward to your replies,

Chris

Chris_Pull

Arachnopeon
Hello all!

I've acquired my 'Cheloctonus sp.' which I now believe to be Iomachus politus(does anyone know for sure?) and the female is laden with young. I cannot comprehend how small they are! I'm worried the young may desiccate, can anyone give any advice with keeping such small scorplings? I believe them to be cannibalistic, so I've separated them out into small deli cups on a peat/sand mix substrate and I've sprayed one side lightly. I'm going to need to get some micro-crickets in ASAP as well!

Here is mum, as you can see, the young have started to leave her:

Here she is again:

These are both bad photos, but they give a size comparison:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Assuming that the picture is not producing an illusion of proportions, that is not Cheloctonus. As to what it is, unforunately that would likely require a strong magnifyer to sort out for certain.

Cheers,
Dave

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Chris, your deli cup method should work just fine. Just don't get it too wet.

David

Chris_Pull

Arachnopeon
Thanks. I've checked on them all this morning, and I've put some food in, which they are eating- so fingers crossed!

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
rex_arachne said:
she looks like a Liocheles waigiensis...
Most likely I. politus, but definitely not a waigiensis. The chela of a waigiensis is more box type with sharp angles. The picture provided above looks rounded.

Chela of a male L. waigiensis

Attachments