1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Correct moisture please help

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Beggottenson, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Beggottenson

Beggottenson Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    Hey all I recently picked up a 2 inch (roughly) LP and a .5 inch P Crassipes, all of my species are dry species and these two are my first species which require more moisture, any tips? I have them in a room with a heater that is constantly on so it may be drying out the enclosures pretty fast, when is the best time to spray the substrate ?

Attached Files:

2. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnobaron Old Timer

Mix in water to the degree that the substrate is moist. Put alot of sub in the enclosure. Those sp you mention like to dig deep. I advise you to give them 10 inches! Then, and this is important!! , you pack down the sub really hard. The hard the better! Now when its time to moist, you DONT SPRAY! You pour water carefully. The ammount of water is hard to measure. You dont wanna flood the burrow of the spider. But maybe 1 deciliter if water? The ammount of substrate and the degree of compressment fills a couple of reasons. First, the spider will have sub to dig in obviosly! The harder sub the better burrow it can dig! The second is that the ammout of sub and the compressment helps to maintain the humidety much longer! It may stay moist for weeks or month this way depending on the ammount! Spraying in a terrarie is not gonna help maintaining the humidety! Spraying results in maybe teaspoon or tablespoon of water. By pouring in water you forces the water to get deep in the substrste! The surface may be dry, but the sub beneath it is moist for a long time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Maryland
    Spraying/misting doesn't do much, because it dries out within hours.

What I do for my Lasiodora/Pamphobeteus/Phormictopus species is overflow the water dish intentionally so that somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 of the substrate gets soaked. This allows the T to decide whether it wants to hang out on the moist sub or the dry sub.

Depending on the season and temps in your house, you may need to do it every few days, or less often.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Vanisher

Haha, i thought you where talking about H crassipes! Lp, no then my advise was wrong! But if you buy Hystetocrates or Haplopelma or any other fossorial moistliving sp, then you can go by my advise!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Beggottenson

Are there any good indications that the sub is dry?

6. Beggottenson

Hahahaha ok thank you so much!

7. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Maryland
    Moist substrate is darker. Once it lightens up to match the rest of the substrate, it's dry.

8. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

ummmm, it looks different.

LP btw doesnt have moisture requirements.

9. Beggottenson

Oh wow everyone told me they need a more tropical environment, ok thanks though I’ll just let the water dish over fill !!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Vanisher

No, then you are misinformed! Thats why i corrected myself. I saw later that you wrote Lp. They like it dry, with an occasional overflow of their waterdish!
    The best way to tell moist from dry is to touch the substrate i guess!
    Diffrent people like diffrent substrate. Some likes coco fiber, others like diffrent. I personally like peat best. It holds moisture well for moist living speicies, and when it dries, it has a good consistancy! I find that coco fibre gets very loose and crumbeling! So i always recommend peat! It is cheap too!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  11. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Mark my words.

The so called 'misting' is the absolutely crap, and btw annoy a lot the bugger inside, which is one of the things a keeper should avoid, especially if the bugger inside is an OW badass.

1) You need to have, always, a full water dish present. A water dish never harmed no one.

2) If needed/when needed (this according to the species in question needs) just pour with a syringe or a plastic pipette room temperature water straight/directly in the substrate.

3) If needed/when needed (again, according to a species needs) when preparing the substrate (so the set up) add one (or two) good Tea spoon of vermiculite (fine grain). Mix that well. That stuff helps to properly mantain the level of moistness in the medium/long term... I use said vermiculite since forever, for my inverts that require a more 'substrate moistness' level, for thrive.

Combined with a proper ventilation provided, no Theraphosidae "becomes" difficult to keep, no matter the NW or OW origin.

Trust me :yawn:

12. Beggottenson

I have already made the substrate moist shall I just let it dry out?

13. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

yep

• Like Like x 1