Corn Snake Habitat

haitrieutwo

Arachnopeon
I have had a female Ghost corn snake, Myrtle, for the last 3 years. She's a friendly and pretty snake. She started out in a 20 gallon, then to a 30 gallon breeder tank. I recently found a rough 55 gallon tank and stand at a yard sale for $30. Over the past few weekends I've been working on dismantling, sanding and staining the stand. Here's a few pics that I hope the snake inclined enjoy!

At the yard sale. Had a sticker for $50, I haggled down to $30.

Before sanding. Lots of chemical stains, a heavy coating of dark stain, many scratches and scuffs. Smelled like cigarettes. Also found a daddy longlegs living inside but didn't get pics.

After sanding. What a workout! Couldn't quite get it perfect but it gave it a natural feel I guess.

Completed project with a light coat of clear stain. Really brought out the wood grain! Not sure what kind of wood it is though. Too hard to be pine - maybe oak?

Bonus pic of Myrtle enjoying the climbing space.

All in all, between the initial purchase a small can of stain, a brush and some sandpaper, I put about $45 in it. Hoping to find a nice background for the tank and a better more natural looking branch.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice work. The lighter color was a much better choice. What grit did you use for the sanding? I have an oak table that I'm considering sanding down and finishing.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That looks awesome! Myrtle seems pleased with all the work you put in :)