corkbark?

mwyomingb

Arachnopeon
Hay everyone just have a quick question on corkbark. Of the people who have used it how well does this work i know some natural products for decoration have a tendency to mold is corkbark safe?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fine to use.I have never had any issues with it.I am sure plenty of others will chime in that have not had any issues either.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use it and love it. I've never seen so much as a speck of mold growing on cork bark.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not only is it OK to use, but, personally, it is the ONLY wood product I would use. Period.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'll echo just about every comment here. Cork bark is great to use - it doesn't mold easily and holds up very well without decomposing. Buy it in bulk to save money.

Jerome.h

Arachnopeon
hihi...another qn... what kinda wood would be prefered? im using the floating cork bark i bought from fish store. it grow abit of molt when the substrate are moist around it.
what about drift woods? will drift wood molt more easily than cork barks? since driftwoods are place inside submerged in fish tanks.?
need advice thanks=p

Josh Perry

Arachnosquire
hihi...another qn... what kinda wood would be prefered? im using the floating cork bark i bought from fish store. it grow abit of molt when the substrate are moist around it.
what about drift woods? will drift wood molt more easily than cork barks? since driftwoods are place inside submerged in fish tanks.?
need advice thanks=p
Drift wood doesn't mold underwater because mold can't form there. Eventualy if kept in the tank it turn very spongy and eventualy to dirt. when you take it out mold starts growing on it within days if you do not take care of it. Drift wood will mold far more easily than cork if kept in the same conditons.

BTW for future refrence please start your own thread instead of jacking someone elses

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
need advice thanks=p
Stick with corkbark, it's a lot easier to handle.
You can use driftwood, but those mold as well, and are usually heavy enough to pose a potential hazard should they fall over or something.

Drift wood doesn't mold underwater because mold can't form there.
Mold/fungi can grow underwater.

BTW for future reference, adding to an already existing thread that's relevant to your topic is always better than making a new thread evertime a question pops into your head.;)

Last edited:

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only mold I have ever had with cork bark was with small scorpions in deli cups. In a damp enclosure, if it fell over flat, mold would grow under it, but not on the bark.

Josh Perry

Arachnosquire
I've had the same pieces of drift wood in my fish tank for 5 years I never got mold or anything on them when I took them out thye nearly fell apart and when I checked on them a few days later they were coever in mold

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Drift wood doesn't mold underwater because mold can't form there. Eventualy if kept in the tank it turn very spongy and eventualy to dirt. when you take it out mold starts growing on it within days if you do not take care of it. Drift wood will mold far more easily than cork if kept in the same conditons.
If by "molds" you mean fungi in general, that would not be a correct statement. The fact that when your driftwood was left in the tank it "very spongy and eventualy to dirt" is evidence of fungi and other organisms at work. As far as visual mushroom caps and slime molds, no you won't see those underwater. ;)

However, while cork bark does rot over time (all organic materials do), it is much slower to do so or to mold than other woods. In a terrarium/vivarium setting, cork bark seems to last "forever".

Josh Perry

Arachnosquire
I thought it was microorganisms not mold you just just changed the way I see stuff now lol I feel so stupid =P

Jerome.h

Arachnopeon
thanks guys...shall go for cork barks then.=p

---------- Post added 10-20-2011 at 12:15 PM ----------

BTW for future reference please start your own thread instead of jacking someone elses
theres a reason y we're still Arachnopeon
thanks.. think i shall jus continue using cork barks then... mayb not too moist in the future=p
peace