Cork Bark Substitutes

MountinGal

Arachnopeon
I have heard a lot of people on the board complaining about cork bark being so hard to find and expensiveb. I haven't been able to find it anywhere around here. ASo when I was setting up housing for my A. avic sling, I had a couple of ideas. I thought I'd share them in case anyone else is looking for an alternative.

I found fake bamboo shoots in the craft department at Wal-MArt. It comes in stalks three to four feet long for around $2, so for a couple bucks there's enough for a lot of slings. It cuts really nice with scissors or even just breaks.

I also purchased just a plain wood bird perch. I cut it to size and sanded down all the rough places. I buried the end in the substrate. This is in with my avic now and she seems to love it. The perch was about $6 and I bought it at PetsMart.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

critterz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds like a very creative and effective setup. From what I have read of Avics (esp. A. avic.), almost anything will work. I understand they take well to man-made structures, even preferring buildings and streetsigns to trees in their native evironments.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Just use a flower pot. Doesn't mold :} I don't know much about the bamboo chutes. Are they treated with any chemicals?Ya might wanna check on that before really doing anything, considering it gets humid in there. I might releast chemicals when it get warm and humid in her home.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some wood products are made of pine, which contains chemicals toxic to invertebrates. Of course, well aged wood is probably OK, but it's something to be aware of when selecting cage furniture. Also, if you ever have a mite problem, any wood product (including cork) can provide a refuge for mites while you treat the tarantula. It's very difficult to sterilize wood! I'm not saying you shouldn't use ny kind of wood, but be prepared to get rid of it if you have mite problems.

I've also had terra cotta flower pots grow mold in certain situations! Plastic ones won't, though.

Other alternatives:

Plastic aquarium plants (for a decorative look). The silk ones are probably OK, but the plastic ones hold up better long term.

4" black plastic drainage pipe for utilitarian purposes. This stuff is great, a ten foot section (about $2 at Lowes or Home Dept) can be cut into dozens of hides and retreats with a box knife.

Wade

MysticKigh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
critterz said:
Sounds like a very creative and effective setup. From what I have read of Avics (esp. A. avic.), almost anything will work. I understand they take well to man-made structures, even preferring buildings and streetsigns to trees in their native evironments.
I'd be inclined to believe this... For a time, my A avic had a combination of real and silk plants...and 'natural' wood and dowel. She was more inclined to use the dowel and silk :confused:
She's back to real plants etc now, although I don't remember why I pulled the unnatural stuff :? Think she's holding a grudge? lol