cool idea for tarantula mite traps

averagebehr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
was looking through the boards stumbled upon this really great preventive idea figured it was worth reposting. Thanks Holly and NIXY.

Below is a copy of post.

Eeep I Hate blasted mites..

Holly we got those as well in my earlier colonies before I figured it out and kept everything as dry as I could.

I had them in the superworm box and the mealworm box. I ended up didtching the meal worms because the mites just went Nuts. But for the supers. I took the lid completly off the box, threw a screen on it and sat it out in the sun to evaporate as much moister in the subtrate as I could. And made a mite trap.
It's an idea I read about on the forums here but mercy help me if I remember who posted it, so I won;t take Any credit for it, whoever's it was, Thanks a Ton because it worked.
I took two film canisters. poked holes in them big enough for the mites to get in, slathered the insides with vasaline, threw a dead cricket and a hunk of potato and cucumber, lided them and set it on the substrate. (Later experiments show me that those cheep katsup/condiment cups like you get at Mc.D's and Wendy's ect work too, as long as they have a lid. Actualy easier to put holes in.) The mites go in, atracted to the rotting bait, get stuck int he vasaline and Die. Hehehe. Great mite trap.
I made sure the baby worms got plaenty of circulation, turning the substrate and leting the traps do the trick and I ended up with clean worm'etes.
Put your beetles in a new setup Holly so they can start reproducing more in a fresh setup. If they have mites. I found they can and do live through a dip into hot dishsoupy water and a hot rinse if your quick. and put a few mite traps in the new setup too. Change your fruits and vegies often and keep the ventilaion up.

averagebehr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
phyloid flies

Its feasible this would work to also protect against phyloid flies as a preventive not nessarily a cure for bad husbandry but still another step to keep our stock healthy

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
averagebehr said:
Its feasible this would work to also protect against phyloid flies as a preventive not nessarily a cure for bad husbandry but still another step to keep our stock healthy
Yep
It's what I use for Phorid flies all the time...I use the 1.5 oz solo cups...I just toss em, no way am I opening them after week and cleaning them....
T