Cool Florida Inverts to Look out for?

Connectimyrmex

Arachnopeon
Hi!
This summer I'm going to visit Florida, and I hope to see some cool ants (Odontomachus & Pseudomyrmex please!) and maybe even bring back some workers (I want to study the trap jaw bite) (not queens, transporting them is illegal). I kind of want to look out for some arthropods other than ants, as well. Do you guys know of any interesting inverts in Florida to look out for and possibly even bring back with me?

Inverts4life1

Arachnosquire
I would totally add Cephalotes to that list, them, Odontomooachus and Atta (although I can't remember off hand if Atta is found in Florida) are some of my favorite genera of ants in NA. As for other inverts i Believe there's 12 different mantis species found down there so perhaps one or a couple of those (not sure on their seasonality though).....or if your feeling scorpions look for Centruroides gracilis.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Phidippus regius, Scolopendra viridis, and depending on what part of the state you’re in, Dynastes tityus.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Millipedes: Narceus americanus, N.gordanus, Chicobolus spinigerus (North Florida and Keys), Floridobolus sp. (Scrub), Trigoniulus corralinus, Anadenobolus monilicronis, Leptogonoiulus sorornus (whole state)
Centipedes: Scolopendra viridis, Hemiscolopendra marginata (whole state but patchy distribution), S. longipes, Rhysida longipes (South Florida, Keys)
Arachnids: Heteropoda venatoria (I don't know about distribution but I found a massive female in the Everglades), Phrynus marginemaculatus (South Florida, Keys)
Mantids: Gonatista grisea, Stagmomantis carolina, Stagmomantis floridensis, Mantoida maya
Gastropods: Leatherleaf slugs incl. Sarasinula plebia, Leydiula floridana, Veronicella sloanei, Caracolus marginella

There are some cool beetle and roach species too but I've never seen any notable native ones in Florida.

thevez2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Centruroides hentzi scorpions. I found tons of these in the panhandle area.

I never found any, but was always on the hunt for the Florida Blue Centipede, Hemiscolopendra marginata.

Also found these fluorescing flat backed millipedes.

Connectimyrmex

Arachnopeon
I'll be on the lookout for all of those, thanks!
I hope to collect some live specimens for captive rearing and some for pinning. I'm hoping to restart my dead insect collection this spring (after taking a several-year long break).

I don't think Atta is a Floridan species, but there are some other fungus growers.

Just another note: I'm not going to take any live eusocial reproductives home with me, probably just a few live workers and some dead queens/workers/males.

Last edited: