1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convince me

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by BoyFromLA, Feb 12, 2019.

1. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    Advertisement
    As I clearly mentioned on page 8 of below post, I am not so pond of any tarantulas with horns on their carapaces.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/least-favorite-tarantula-species.288385/page-8#post-2894988

And for some other reason, I am not so pond of any Poecilotheria as well while so many out there are mad fans of above said tarantulas.

So please convince me by kindly explain or enlighten me why you love above said tarantulas, and why would strongly refer others to get one for one’s tarantula collection.

Again, please be kind. :angelic:

• Like Like x 2
  2. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnobaron Active Member

Well, I happen to lake them.

• Funny x 19
    • Award x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Love x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Sad x 1
    • Lollipop x 1
  3. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

I think that no one can convince you, honestly.

For instance, no one can convince me that the so called 'dwarf' Theraphosidae are "ok", because, surprise... "dwarf" and Theraphosidae are a nonsense, an oxymoron, for me. If I want a "dwarf" spider I will search in the so called "true spider" league.

T's needs size. Not necessarily a Theraphosa spp. size, but a bit of size.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2019
  4. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Some of my favorites you are referring to here.

Marshalli/darlingi are both just fantastic....and while the complete uniqueness of the horn makes them special in their own right, they would be great even without that novelty. From the markings on the abdomen, to the spectacular carapace around the horn, to the banding on the legs, they are really good looking ts....on top of that, they're two of the most observable fossorials I can think of, with good growth rates and a spectacular feeding response.

Pokies remind me of beautifully patterned Psalmopeous (one of my favorites). Great growth rates, superb feeding response (I can hear them hit prey in the other room, through a closed door, with the TV on) and tendencies to both be visible, and be pretty darn calm for such large, bulky arboreals. Very impressive display species....people are always struck by the brightness of the yellow under the front legs.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  5. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

Harpactirinae contains some of the more amazing genuses! Ceratogyrus sp is certainly one if them, even if i like Pterinochilus sp a tad more! Their colloration and overall appearence and habits is fantastic, so yes i agree with the earlier writer on this!
    About pokies, i have had some speicies of them and like them aswell! Even though they are not my favourites! But, i mean the looks!!! Com on, they are gorgeous!

6. antinous

antinous Pamphopharaoh Arachnosupporter

ditch the baboons and get some more Pamphobeteus :troll:

• Love Love x 1
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  7. BoyFromLA

CA
    Does the horn make any complications while molting?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. cold blood

Not at all, although I have a good vid on my phone of my female marshalli molting, and the horn wiggles with every push...very fascinating to see it move.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BoyFromLA

CA
    That is indeed interesting!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I don't see the point in convincing someone to like something they don't like.

SO Mr. Dwarf, what would you call a tarantula that is smaller than a true spider, particularly when that true spider isn't not considered a giant.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. cold blood

Because they asked o_O

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. basin79

basin79 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Unless you have a problem with OW's I can't see how you not be a fan of pokies.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
    • Love Love x 4
  13. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

As an avid pokie advocate, all I can say is that they do have amazing feeding responses and are active when the sun goes down. Both of mine walk around during that time and it's always fun to see them out and about. Neither of mine are particularly defencive. I love the patterning on them and it's also pretty neat to see them make web hammocks, socks, and dirt curtains. My girl is shy but sweet and the one I first thought was a girl who-turned-out-to-be-a-boy is very timid but fun to watch. Another cool thing about them is that they put on size pretty stinking quickly. All in all a great genus of T. Of course that can be said of any genus. ;) :D

14. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

If you don't like those 2 genera, listen, cough up your collection now to the Federal Tarantula Authority. I'm the Executive Leader by coincidence.

Was that a good attempt at publicly shaming you for not liking 2 genera of Ts? I think it was a great start :troll::wacky:

@BoyFromLA

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  15. antinous

antinous Pamphopharaoh Arachnosupporter

In all honesty, I’m not too fond of Pokies either. The one I kinda want is a subfusca which is now going to be tough to get. Then again, I’m not too fond of arboreals in general.

16. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Ah ah, I was hoping for this :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, even His Eminence the Pope (an avid Theraphosidae enthusiast, especially Southern American ones) dislikes 'Dwarf Theraphosidae' -- and I'm the 'sword' and 'shield' of the Holy See :kiss:

• Like Like x 1
  17. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnobaron Active Member

You may be, but you got a demerit for the expletive in your first post.

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnolord

Texas
    Poecs in my opinion are by far the coolest looking tarantulas of all (see above pictures). God decided there can’t be a perfect tarantula so he made them hide a lot, which is a bummer.

I haven’t gotten any horns yet, but I’m not ruling it out.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnolord Active Member

I can’t keep Ts right now but when I move out and get some OWs later on I will not be able to resist any tarantula that looks like a little shark (I was obsessed wtih sharks when i was young and still sort of am :) )

20. Crone Returns

Crone Returns Arachnoangel Active Member

You gotta be older before you get your horns.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1