Containing Arboreal Species?

Gostone

Arachnopeon
When you have to change an arboreal species cage what method do you use to contain them safely, especially if you have a fairly hot spider like a pokie or something?

This has been my only concern about keeping one. With my Cobalt blue and other Burrowers I use the "half soda bottle and paint brush" method which can still be a trying experience. Does that work for the arboreal spiders as well?

It seems you would have to chase them around the cage a bit more or capture them on the walls or ceiling which to me would be more stressful for the spider.

What method do you use?

Thanks.

-Gostone

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
half soda container work pretty sure of it, if not use a big bottle, when you have covered the spider with it, put the cover between teh spider, and the wall or substrate, you will have your spider in the bottle ( sry for bad spelling )

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use the paintbrush, bathtub, towel blocking the space under the door routine. I only use that if the container I am transfering from doesn't fit into the new container. Also, I would wear winter gloves if you have them, something they can't bite through. Of course you look funny if someone catches you leaving the bathroom with gloves on.

I transfered a H Maculata last week this way. For me, having bright lights in the bathroom worked wonders in slowing the gray ball of doom.

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've got to transfer my H. maculata as well. It's not something I am looking forward to in the slightest. I can't imagine he'll appreciate it much either.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Transfering aboreals...

Transfering aboreals can be tricky if they get startled. I place a deli container over the subject gently and then slide in the lid or stiff cardboard to secure them and lift them out. Being careful not to injure any legs by covering them. This works when they are perched on the side.
Otherwise, I use the paintbrush method to scoot them into the temporary container.
Once in a while (especially my regalis) will bolt out and up the wall. This actually makes it easier to secure her and is quite humorous. {D :D

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have used the paintbrush and soda bottle top method to transfer a P. cambridgei, (in the bathub, with the towel covering the drain and everything as a precaution).

I didn't really have a problem at all with gently moving it into the soda bottle. However, Speedracer did not live up to it's name at the time...and it molted about a week afterward. I'm not sure how well this would work when an arboreal T is at it's speediest.

I've transfered my Avicularia huriana before, just using a paint brush and cup to cup, but that was probably a rare easy occurance.