Container store

kev48584

Arachnopeon
for that price i wouldn't want to buy those lolz i have a few of the amac boxes for my slings and they are wonderful! i usually keep my arboreal t's 3-5 inches legspan in 1 gallon canister jars that you can find at walmart. they are very cheap too! about $3-4 dollars and all you have to do is make some holes, add some cork bark, substrate and there you have it! you can find them in the kitchen area.

jarmst4

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For that price they are pretty cheap compared to actual tarantula enclosures of that size. If I knew how they opened I would go for it.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I second the post above about containers from Walmart. I picked up one for $7.50 and it's really nice. Dimensions are 4.5" square and 7.5" tall. Internal dimensions are a bit smaller. The acrylic is crystal clear and magnifies slightly. This is a picture from a test fit of some cork bark destined to house my P. metallica when it grows up a bit. The brand is "Mainstays".
View attachment 110793 View attachment 110794

Last edited:

jarmst4

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't want to get too far off topic here. Just wondering about the display cases in specific. Somebody must have tried them.

philge

Arachnosquire
I was looking at these last time I was in The Container Store. They won't work for Ts because of the way that they open and close. I found this youtube video that shows how they open: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd1o8O4wEf4

As you can see, there's no place to hold substrate.

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I second the post above about containers from Walmart. I picked up one for $7.50 and it's really nice. Dimensions are 4.5" square and 7.5" tall. Internal dimensions are a bit smaller. The acrylic is crystal clear and magnifies slightly. This is a picture from a test fit of some cork bark destined to house my P. metallica when it grows up a bit. The brand is "Mainstays".
View attachment 110793 View attachment 110794
i saw these but thought how the hell do i put air holes in it?

cerialkiller

Arachnosquire
I've tried them they're cheaper at Michael's

uploadfromtaptalk1362447584473.jpg

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

jarmst4

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think I have hundreds of those. Hah. I just sucked it up and bought 10 exo terra 8x12s. Those are a good size for avics and Juvie pokies. Also got a bulk order of cork coming in from maryland cork. I'm excited.

Saark

Arachnosquire
Collector case enclosures

I use the doll collector cases. I find them on sale for $5.99 at the Michael's Craft Store in town. They are 8in x 3.3in x 3.3in. I haven't tried the bigger basket ball one because it's kind of pricey. Anyway, the little ones are great for slings. I also just made thee into housing for juv. H. troglodytes that are coming tomorrow. I use a two inch hole saw to drill holes for round vents. I haven't mastered the skills yet as I make a bit of a mess with the acrylic solvent glue and I usually end up with a small crack or two but they still work great.

For the arboreal tanks, I cut the lid to make a door and a base to hold substrate. I then use acrylic hinges and latch for the door. The terrestrial tanks just have holes cut for the vents.

A. versicolor enclosure:
enclosures 005.jpg enclosures 003.jpg

One of 3 H. troglodytes enclosures:
enclosures 002.jpg

fatalxiceman

Arachnopeon
I use the doll collector cases. I find them on sale for $5.99 at the Michael's Craft Store in town. They are 8in x 3.3in x 3.3in. I haven't tried the bigger basket ball one because it's kind of pricey. Anyway, the little ones are great for slings. I also just made thee into housing for juv. H. troglodytes that are coming tomorrow. I use a two inch hole saw to drill holes for round vents. I haven't mastered the skills yet as I make a bit of a mess with the acrylic solvent glue and I usually end up with a small crack or two but they still work great.

For the arboreal tanks, I cut the lid to make a door and a base to hold substrate. I then use acrylic hinges and latch for the door. The terrestrial tanks just have holes cut for the vents.

A. versicolor enclosure:
View attachment 114742 View attachment 114743

View attachment 114744
may i ask, where did you purchase those plastic hinges? do you know where i can get those hinges with lock?

Saark

Arachnosquire
may i ask, where did you purchase those plastic hinges? do you know where i can get those hinges with lock?
I got the hinges, hasps(locks) and the acrylic solvent cement at tranatulahomes.com in the Acrylic Supplies section. Word of warning, that acrylic cement is hard to control, ie it starts coming out of the tube and doesn't want to stop. Squeeze gently! :)

Brachypelmo

Arachnopeon
I got the hinges, hasps(locks) and the acrylic solvent cement at tranatulahomes.com in the Acrylic Supplies section. Word of warning, that acrylic cement is hard to control, ie it starts coming out of the tube and doesn't want to stop. Squeeze gently! :)

The best thing to do to control extra glue drippage, is hold bottle upright squeeze all extra air out of it then turn over and glue your acrylic once done relase and let go and it sucks back extra glue and keepds it from puoring out. Good Luck!

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

A. versicolor enclosure:
View attachment 114742 View attachment 114743

View attachment 114744
didnt even know michaels had these..ill have to steal this idea just to have an excuse to buy another Avic....