Considering getting my first tarantula...

Pa Uchok

Arachnopeon
Love my little Brachypelma hamorii (Mexican Red Knee) sling. Got it in April at 3/4 of an inch and it’s already at 2 inches DLS. And since it hit 2 inches it quit burrowing and hangs out in the open all the time now. Great beginner species for sure. I’ve been keeping Ts about 3 years and finally stepped into Old Wolrds this year. But I still own more “beginner” New Worlds than I do Old Worlds. I’m a big fan of the Aphonopelma genus. Hoping the Aphonopelma bicoloratum drop in price someday.
Interesting - I'm in a similar position to OP, both in terms of arachnophobia and wanting to get my first T. I've literally just been in contact earlier today with a local dealer who has B. hamorii and B. emilia slings at about 3/4 inch size, but I was unsure as I thought I'd read that Brachypelmas, although good beginner Ts and gorgeous looking, generally tended to be slow growers. But your experience suggests otherwise.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Interesting - I'm in a similar position to OP, both in terms of arachnophobia and wanting to get my first T. I've literally just been in contact earlier today with a local dealer who has B. hamorii and B. emilia slings at about 3/4 inch size, but I was unsure as I thought I'd read that Brachypelmas, although good beginner Ts and gorgeous looking, generally tended to be slow growers. But your experience suggests otherwise.
Emilia are harder to come by, get the emilia. Hamorii are everywhere, maybe not by you. I don't know.

Both species you list are slow growers. There always exceptions, males grow faster etc. Anyone that suggests they are fast or medium/fast (whatever that means) growers doesn't have enough experience in reading about this species nor owning them.

Remember, when people talk about growth rates, about 99.99% of the people NEVER mention all the critical factors that go into growth rates. So when people compare on the board etc, it's a waste of time to read it in my experience.

Pa Uchok

Arachnopeon
Emilia are harder to come by, get the emilia. Hamorii are everywhere, maybe not by you. I don't know.

Both species you list are slow growers. There always exceptions, males grow faster etc. Anyone that suggests they are fast or medium/fast (whatever that means) growers doesn't have enough experience in reading about this species nor owning them.

Remember, when people talk about growth rates, about 99.99% of the people NEVER mention all the critical factors that go into growth rates. So when people compare on the board etc, it's a waste of time to read it in my experience.
Funnily enough, the local dealers (I'm in Vietnam) seem to have lots of B. boehmei, but I gather they can be very prone to kicking hairs. The other NW species that seems readily available here is D. pentaloris, and I'm very drawn to them. I know they don't often get mentioned as a beginner species, although there is at least one thread on AB which discusses that scenario in positive terms. As I understand it, they can be a bit skittish, but I can see value in having a dwarf species (or, indeed, a slow growing species such as Brachypelma) so that I grow with the spider, rather than getting freaked out by something like A. geniculata putting on a lot of size. The D. pentaloris looks very attractive in all the images I have seen, too. At the risk of sounding shallow, I do want a good-looking spider, as I don't think my circumstances will allow me to accumulate a big collection over time. So I'll need to be selective.

You mention there are lots of critical factors when it comes to growth rates. I will admit I was wondering whether the high average temperatures (in the 90s) here might have a positive effect on growth rate, all other things being equal. We do use air-con, obviously, but only when we are actually occupying rooms.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
The other NW species that seems readily available here is D. pentaloris, and I'm very drawn to them. I know they don't often get mentioned as a beginner species, although there is at least one thread on AB which discusses that scenario. As I understand it, they can be a bit skittish, but I can see value in having a dwarf species (or, indeed, a slow growing species such as Brachypelma) so that I grow with the spider, rather than getting freaked out by something like A. geniculata putting on a lot of size. The D. pentaloris looks very attractive in all the images I have seen, too.
I have a Davus pentaloris. It's not something I'd typically recommend as a first tarantula due to being a little fast and skittish. However, I think it's doable as long as you don't intend to handle. Once settled into their enclosures, they aren't hard to manage.

I love the markings her its abdomen and how mobile the abdomen is when she webs. (Mine is named Bumblebutt for those reasons.)

Brachypelma emilia is a better starter species, IMO, if you don't mind slow growth or can find a juvenile.

Pa Uchok

Arachnopeon
as long as you don't intend to handle.
Um, no. It was never something I wanted to do, and my time spent reading this forum has thoroughly convinced me my initial impulse was also correct from the spider's point of view.
Brachypelma emilia is a better starter species, IMO, if you don't mind slow growth or can find a juvenile.
Only smaller slings available at the moment. But, as I say, slow growth rate might actually be a plus point at this stage for me in the hobby. Also, it's difficult to argue against the general demeanour of the species (I realise there can always be individual exceptions), and that classic colouration.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Only smaller slings available at the moment. But, as I say, slow growth rate might actually be a plus point at this stage for me in the hobby. Also, it's difficult to argue against the general demeanour of the species (I realise there can always be individual exceptions), and that classic colouration.
I just purchased a female yesterday, and she is very calm, though a little stubborn.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

Karl Parker

Arachnopeon
So good news, whilst being on the board and looking at the pictures etc I can comfortably view tarantulas...step in the right direction if I do say so myself (ha...) I have narrowed down my choice to either Brachypelma hamorii, Grammostola pulchra or Grammostola rosea. Been looking around for good places to shop for one and a good habitat...terrarium..."home" as well and there is a TON of options out there so still got some time to consider all my options and my largest hurdle...once it comes getting it from delivery package to home...I'm trying not to focus too heavily on that detail lol.