Considering future OWs

Colette

Arachnopeon
I'm up to 9 Ts now, ranging from a G pulchra sling to a SA P cambridgei. Long term there's a few OWs I'd like, namely a pokie, probably P miranda.

I'm not overly concerned for myself but I'm aware of the risks to the cats and dogs in the house should the T get loose. (My other pets don't go into the T room so only an issue in case of escape).

Would it be a reasonable idea to get my first OW as an adult / sub adult? My thinking is that this way it could be housed in its permanent tank from the outset so hopefully no need for any rehousing, which is obviously the time of highest risk.

forfun

Arachnopeon
I own a OBT and a p.iriminia in my collection. I have a rock on the OBT's enclosure to ensure it wont escape, i cant risk it escaping cuz we have a chihuahua dog. If you make it 100% secure so it wont escape i would not worry. First it gotta escape then actually bite ur pet which chances are very low.

Buy whatever you want just make sure it wont escape :)

sasker

Arachnoprince
Not that I have much experience with OW (3 currently, all slings/sub adults), but I would not be too worried about rehouses. Depending on the species, of course. If you start with a somewhat easier species (Ceratogyrus sp. for example) and you prepare for a rehouse of the fastest OW you can think of, you should be fine.

There are loads of posts on the 'best' starter OW on this forum, so take your pick. I preferred to buy slings allowing me to 'grow' into keeping OWs. Buying an adult OW scared me a little before I took the plunge. Imagine having to open the container with a high strung, large OW tarantula that you purchased and to coax it into its new enclosure. The horror, the horror! :anxious:

Colette

Arachnopeon
I do like M balfouri which seems to be a recommended first ow, but I don't have unlimited space so I'd be inclined to jump straight to the pokie.

My P cambridgei already has tape securing the lid and I would do the same for any OWs so I'm not overly worried about escapes under normal circumstances. Rehousing scares the crap out of me though!

SingaporeB

Arachnopeon
You need to work on overcoming your fear. Being that afraid of your spiders puts them at physical risk from you. Catching escaped tarantulas is easy. I've had a couple of Tap gigas escape and had to climb under a computer desk with my catch cup to retrieve them.

You just put the large deli cup in front of the spider and lightly tap the spider on the rear and they bolt into the cup. I used round screens on tubs and had a phormictopus cancerides and H. gigas chew through the screen and escape and go for a stroll down the hall into different bedrooms.

Colette

Arachnopeon
It's just a turn of phrase. I have no issue rehousing my new worlds and if I didn't have other pets to worry about I wouldn't be overly concerned about an old world. The fear is that a T is mostly likely to get loose when during a rehouse.

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
Just use the DarkDens approach to rehousing fast spiders. I'm sure someone can post a link to it. I'm at work and don't have enough signal to get on youtube. It looks fool proof.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I'm actually not scared of much in this life. But having to rehouse my OBT soon scares me lol
I totally get what you mean and the disagree rating you got is not deserved. I think it only proves that you use your brains if you are reluctant to rehouse an OBT, especially if you don't have one yet. After all, they are quicker, less predictable and way more venomous than most NW species. I started with species that are considered 'entry level OWs'. I like the way OBTs look, but I will wait a while before I purchase one (if that day ever comes). I don't feel that I am ready for it right now. Getting over this 'fear' is best done by gaining experience with other tarantulas IMO.

You need to work on overcoming your fear. Being that afraid of your spiders puts them at physical risk from you.
I get what you mean and I agree to some extend with what you say. But remember that the OP does not have any OW tarantulas yet. If you take the step to buy an OBT, you'd better be prepared. It means that you bought your OBT too early if you are so afraid of your own spider that this causes you to make mistakes.

had a phormictopus cancerides and H. gigas chew through the screen and escape and go for a stroll down the hall into different bedrooms.
Do you mean it is no big deal if your H. gigas walks around freely in your house because it is very easy to catch them again? I am sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I think there is no excuse for having a spider with such potent venom escape its enclosure. That's just poor management from your side, man. You, as the owner of such tarantulas, are responsible for the safety of those around you. What if your housemates get bitten? What if your next door neighbors find it before you do? I can imagine the headlines: "Dangerously poisonous spider found in bathroom". I don't think that would do the hobby much good.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You need to work on overcoming your fear. Being that afraid of your spiders puts them at physical risk from you. Catching escaped tarantulas is easy. I've had a couple of Tap gigas escape and had to climb under a computer desk with my catch cup to retrieve them.

You just put the large deli cup in front of the spider and lightly tap the spider on the rear and they bolt into the cup. I used round screens on tubs and had a phormictopus cancerides and H. gigas chew through the screen and escape and go for a stroll down the hall into different bedrooms.

I agree with all of this. And that's exactly how I do cage transfers and move males for breeding: 32 oz deli cup and a soft touch on the rear legs. The key is tilting the cup at the correct angle you want them to go in, and limiting where they can go after that, in case they panic and bolt. Now, is the deli cup method ideal for everyone with every species? No.

boina

Lady of the mites
You need to work on overcoming your fear.
No. Fear is a harsh word, but you can also call it a healthy dose of respect. It makes you alert and aware and prevents mistakes. If you lose all "fear" and get complacent you get sloppy.

Being that afraid of your spiders puts them at physical risk from you.
Who said they were that afraid? You did notice the 'lol' at the end of the sentence, right?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
There's a difference between being afraid of the tarantula and being concerned about getting bit. If you're afraid of a spider, you can't be objective. Every single time they move quickly you're going to jerk back, maybe drop the tongs or the enclosure.

I'm concerned about getting bit. I don't want to get bit, but I take the risk anyway. I'm not afraid of my pokies, I think they're adorable even when they teleport when I'm just trying to get a god darn picture of them out of their hide. But I'm definitely concerned about being bit. I keep my eye on them, I take every precaution that I can to minimize the risk of an escape or a bite-- or both.

So if you're actually fearful of a certain species-- do not acquire it. I'm not saying anyone on this thread is fearful. Just food for thought to any new keepers.

Sub-adults/adults tend to be more confident and less prone to running. So where a sling will flee into their tube when you try to do any cage maintenance, an older tarantula might stand their ground and slap your tongs, maybe even strike. It can be intimidating at first. Either way though, you've gotta experience their teleport-speeds first hand.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
To the original question lol..

I wouldn't. No rehousing or not. They are much more inclined to be defensive when large and certainly have more venom and bigger fangs. I'd still recommend a sling.

SingaporeB

Arachnopeon
Do you mean it is no big deal if your H. gigas walks around freely in your house because it is very easy to catch them again? I am sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I think there is no excuse for having a spider with such potent venom escape its enclosure. That's just poor management from your side, man. You, as the owner of such tarantulas, are responsible for the safety of those around you. What if your housemates get bitten? What if your next door neighbors find it before you do? I can imagine the headlines: "Dangerously poisonous spider found in bathroom". I don't think that would do the hobby much good.
Correct, it's no big deal.

The venom is as potent as a bee sting. I have other animals in my house that can actually kill adults so the tarantulas are indeed "no big deal".

The h .gigas was discovered by my housemate. She yelled downstairs for me to "come quick". She had opened her bedroom door and the 5" leg span H. gigas walked into the bedroom and I had to fish her out - the spider - from under the dresser into a catch cup.

My next door neighbors are nazi pricks and I would die first before letting them enter my house so there is zero chance of them discovering any of this.

sasker

Arachnoprince
The venom is as potent as a bee sting.
Well, according to the bite reports I read, bites from Hysterocrates species are a lot more potent than bee stings. I will take your word for it if you have been bitten by one - and stung by a bee for comparison. Bee sting or not, I would feel very guilty if anyone in my house got bitten by my spider - be it my P. muticus or my B. hamorii - because I let it escape.

I can imagine you keep your Nazi neighbors out, I would definitely do the same :D By the way, I did not mean that your neighbors would find an escaped tarantula in your house. I think it would be a bigger problem if they found your spider in their house.

You are free to perceive the level of danger the way you do, but I disagree with your casual approach, which I am also free to do. And the OP is free to feel uncomfortable by the thought of having to rehouse an OBT ;)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Buying an adult OW scared me a little before I took the plunge. Imagine having to open the container with a high strung, large OW tarantula that you purchased and to coax it into its new enclosure. The horror, the horror! :anxious:
My new 4" Ceratogyrus marshalli hissed at me and didn't want to leave her deli cup, but other than that, she wasn't that hard to rehouse.

Though if I were new to tarantulas, or if I had gotten a large Asian arboreal as my first OW, I might have felt differently. There is definitely something to be said for gradually working your way toward the most challenging species.