Confused about premolts...

KenTheOtherBugGuy

Arachnosquire
They just have slow metabolisms and if they plump up they don't need to eat for really long periods of time.
I guess G Rosea Ts do have a slow metabolism.. My G Rosea doesn't eat until a month later..-.- It's a bit annoying but hey, wait patiently and you'll be rewarded big;)

KenTheOtherBugGuy

Arachnosquire
IMO, as long as the abdomen is bigger than the carapace,there's no need to worry anout starvation.

Come to think of it,that might only be applicable to juvies and adults tho,as i have yet to see a sling with larger carapace than its abdomen.haha
My sling has a big abdomen than the carapace, so I should be good...then..yes? haha

DPetsche

Arachnopeon
My first T (second one I bought since my G. Pulchripes was on it's way in the mail at the time) was a tiny little LP. It was so tiny but by the time I had gotten it home from picking it up from a breeder, it had molted in the container and I didn't even notice. It's crazy the difference in speed that Ts can have when they feel like it.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
IMO, as long as the abdomen is bigger than the carapace,there's no need to worry anout starvation.

Come to think of it,that might only be applicable to juvies and adults tho,as i have yet to see a sling with larger carapace than its abdomen.haha
I have some slings that I received a week ago that some of them have/had a smaller abdomen than their carapace. They were almost two weeks in-transit, and some of the smallest had molted (all survived). A few still haven't eaten, whether from still getting settled in or in premolt. I am currently trying to fatten them all up, though. :)

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Oh and once it molts you're going to want to wait yet another week before you feed it so it's fangs and exoskeleton will harden. Feed it too early can damage the fangs and feeders could actually eat their soft bodies. Like everyone is saying, if the abdomen is plump you need not worry.

cold blood

Staff member
I have some slings that I received a week ago that some of them have/had a smaller abdomen than their carapace. They were almost two weeks in-transit, and some of the smallest had molted (all survived). A few still haven't eaten, whether from still getting settled in or in premolt. I am currently trying to fatten them all up, though. :)
yeah i kinda chuckle at that if the abdomen is bigger than the carapace its ok...i mean...does that mean i should be worried about every post molt t? lol

2 weeks in transit...wtf...how...please explain...was it delivered on horseback??

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
yeah i kinda chuckle at that if the abdomen is bigger than the carapace its ok...i mean...does that mean i should be worried about every post molt t?
I also dont get it. I mean i do feel safer if the butt is plump, but I wont consider the sling ill if the abdomen is smaller. Especially OW species that have a different build than NW.. NWs can get reeeally fat as slings.. OW not so much since their abdomens are more elongated than NW's.
It's all fine to try to fatten the sling, but there is a huge gap between being plump and underfed..

Dehydration is a much bigger killer than starvation.

Last edited:

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
When I first got my first T, it was my euathlus sp red sling in my profile pic. He didnt eat for about 3 weeks after I got him, and it wasnt even premolt. Scared the crap outta me as a new owner. He has molted twice now and is almost a half inch :rolleyes:

As most people have said just make sure they have a damp spot and/or a small cap of water in their enclosure and youll be fine.

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Oh and once it molts you're going to want to wait yet another week before you feed it so it's fangs and exoskeleton will harden. Feed it too early can damage the fangs
The spider will not eat if it isn't ready, I have never seen a T that hasn't fully hardened it's fangs go for prey.