Concerned

Jennniferd

Arachnopeon
I am a new mom to owning a scorpion..i have an emperor scorpion, female, purchased from a pet store. She was doing great for the last year all of a sudden the last two months she won't burrow or eat. Nothing has changedother than her behavior, she just sits on to of the dirt doing nothing. Is this normal or should I be worried?

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
Has it molted in your care or was it sold to you as an adult? I had a huge sub adult female in pre molt for about 8 months one time, and she didnt do much but lay around for months.

Jennniferd

Arachnopeon
Has it molted in your care or was it sold to you as an adult? I had a huge sub adult female in pre molt for about 8 months one time, and she didnt do much but lay around for months.
No it has not. I was told it was a juvenile but am unsure of age

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
No it has not. I was told it was a juvenile but am unsure of age
It sounds like pre molt, just keep it hydrated. With deep moist substrate. My emperor frequently drinks out of a water dish when in pre molt. Also what temps do you keep her at?

Jennniferd

Arachnopeon
Yea like you can see each one individually and its fine we all have to learn.
Yes I can see them individually but just slightly. The ones towards her tail there's more grey showing than the ones by her head, they are barely separated

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
If it is indeed a juvie or sub adult then it sounds like a definite pre molt and she will be fine. I have a group of scorplings that have been in pre molt since august and im still waiting.

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
Growth rates can certainly depend on a species but it also depends on temps how often you feed ,what you feed, the size of the feeders and age of the animal. Molting occurs when the animal gets too big for its current exoskeleton and sheds it into a new one. The new exoskeleton grows under the current one though which is why the animal fattens up and usually becomes lethargic. Its quite a taxing process for inverts. When its done you'll be left with a shell of the old skin and a new larger animal.

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
This is a pic of my sub adult hottentota hottentota in pre molt currently. They normally get prettt fat and round then they molt. This girl should be molting any day now.

Attachments

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
Yea thats definitely not an adult judging from the size in that pic. Emps get huge my girl is about 7-8 inches. The substrate looks a bit dry though. It should be moist but not soggy for emps as they need the humidity and it helps them form burrows.

Jennniferd

Arachnopeon
Yea thats definitely not an adult judging from the size in that pic. Emps get huge my girl is about 7-8 inches. The substrate looks a bit dry though. It should be moist but not soggy for emps as they need the humidity and it helps them form burrows.

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
If i were you id put the scorpion into a catch cup, remove all decorations and then pour a few cups of water into the substrate. Mixing the substrate thoroughly between each cup to make sure its not saturated and soggy. The substrate should be a dark brown color when done. Its easier to do this with everything removed so you can thoroughly mix the dirt in with the water.