Computer monitor enclosure

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nope...continue

i just wanted people to know that just because its unplugged there is still a danger.

they just need to be careful.

moose
I would just discourage doing it at all unless someone really knows what they're doing. I have no idea about it personally, so if I ever wanted to gut a CRT monitor, I would want help with it from someone who really knows their stuff.

its already gutted so i say continue with the project, u didnt get zapped yet so what the hell yah know?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah you've already gutted it; no more issue with this one.

And even though it's true that the monitors will still hold a charge after being unplugged, we don't have any info (on here) as to which capacitors need to be discharged to avoid being shocked. So I would definitely put a disclaimer here about making sure you know what you're doing while gutting a monitor.

What I'll end up doing to discharge mine if I ever do something like that is toss the whole thing into a swimming pool. :}

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah you've already gutted it; no more issue with this one.

And even though it's true that the monitors will still hold a charge after being unplugged, we don't have any info (on here) as to which capacitors need to be discharged to avoid being shocked. So I would definitely put a disclaimer here about making sure you know what you're doing while gutting a monitor.

What I'll end up doing to discharge mine if I ever do something like that is toss the whole thing into a swimming pool. :}
X- I think you may have solved why I never got shocked. I pulled these monitors from the trash. They had been sitting outside getting rained on. {D

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nothing. It's just a false floor. You could just bypass this step and make the floor the monitor. I was making the point that if the false floor is not snug the spider will get underneath the floor.

Ahh ok I see what you were trying to illustrate now. Have you done anymore to the enclosure ?

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I cut a hole for a ramekin to use as a water dish.

I painted the outside black.

Returning from Lowes I find my yellow did not make it into the bag. Rather than wait I decided to use gold which is a yellow but won't look as good. What you are going for is three strips of color overlapping. I spent more time using and air brush on my last one but I want to make this one so you don't need an airbrush to do this. Here is what you are looking for.

Light blue at the top. Yellow in the center and burgundy at the bottom.

I saved the yellow for last. It's hard to be precise with a spray can, but this is a bright flash and it doesn't really matter in the end. The substrate will cover most of the red except a tiny strip that will model a sunset on the horizon.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

First layer of build-up. Take strips of cardboard and silicone both sides and fill in the gap. I like to use white here because it's easier to see because you want to make sure you don't leave any holes. A layer of black with be the final coat with pushed in substrate.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Add the feeder door on the outside and window next to it. You could just cover it up at the later step of adding the substrate which I probably will do.

Added a little bit more filler in black. This is a good stopping point. The silicone needs to cure and I need to get ready and watch some football. Enjoy!

Jojos

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you Skullptor!:clap:

I can't wait to see the rest! Have fun tonight!:D

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

cut a hole for the light.

Hit it with some silicone and place. Make sure you only glue the base so you can change bulbs if needed.

Cut a piece of cardboard for the corner to give spider a hide and it also provides another access to the water. coat the floor with silicone and peat. I cut the acrylic for the front and the silicone is curing. Almost done!

I have to say, I'm laughing a bit at the thought of opening the feeder door with a big hungry T inside it's hide- RIGHT NEXT TO THE DOOR!

Last edited:

Jojos

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For the bug door... Haven't you glued a window on it? I'm a bit confused:confused: :? The rest looks real good. Can't wait to see the finish product.:clap: ;)

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are two holes that needed to be closed. One I made a feeder door; the acrylic is facing outward. The other I glued a piece of acrylic on the inside. You could keep it a window or put peat over it, which I chose to do. It's still there under the peat if you want it showing. My camera battery is charging. I'll illustrate it better later. :) Thanks for the compliment.

Jojos

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK, I understand now... Sorry.:eek: Thanks to you for this very interesting thread!:clap:

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I dug the window out to show you that it's still there, just covered up.

Here is a shot of the false floor. You can see there is not much space underneath.

You can see how the floor extends past the body. This aids in keeping all the substrate in when opening and closing plus it closes the gaps from the floor to the front.

Here is the acrylic front. Note that the silicone line is the point that meets the floor on the previous photo.

I'm trying to take photos of the enclosure. Problem is when I take it with the flash on it washes out what I want you to see with the soft light. When I turn the flash off everything looks dark orange. Do I need to back light it? Anyone?

Jojos

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For my part, I don't know... I think the pics look real good. So the silicone is not to glue the front part to the body part, it's to seal it right?:rolleyes:

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The silicone glues the acrylic in place but the front opens and closes. This is the access for putting the spider inside. The silicone line that holds the acrylic in lines up with the floor.

Jojos

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you for explaining that to me. You're nice and patient!:rolleyes: ;)