Computer monitor enclosure

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I announced I was building a computer monitor enclosure and then I just got slammed at work and failed to post it. I apologize to those who wanted to see it and thank you for pm'ing me wanting to see it.

Step 1 Gut the monitor and prime it. My first enclosure I kept an LED/ on-off switch/ and the power supply. With outlets being a premium in my house I opted to run this one on a battery since the light will be seldom used anyway.

9 volt bat/ battery harness/ auto wire/ and an orange Christmas tree like- light. I chose orange for several reasons. One being it is not as bright as white. Second it is the opposite of blue on the color wheel and the inside will have the color blue in it and it will work well with the blue.

cut out a floor plan in cardboard- yes cardboard! It is 240 lbs test double thickness cardboard. I know some of you are having doubts about using cardboard but in the end it will be sealed first and covered with silicone and substrate, and is super strong! In fact in it's place inside the monitor it has no give whatsoever and is very rigid and will only get stronger through the process. Even though I want to prevent the spider from going under the floor, if it did there is no way out. I have had one for quite some time now and I've never had a spider get through it. The cardboard is locked into the shape it is in and needs some force to bend it. Sealing it with paint help accomplish that along with the xtra thick cardboard used. I just can't emphasis how strong this floor is...

Make sure it fits snug and there are no gaps.

I pieced it together in two pieces and glued it.

The front still comes off easily to put a spider inside. You want the cardboard to reach all the way to the front pretty snuggly. When you remove the front the floor stays in place.

Ok. now comes painting. I have spent some time painting a detailed mural of a desert sunset with an etched acrylic front on mine but, I am making this one pretty easy to follow. but if you can...now is the time to paint it. I'll paint mine and be back soon.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's neat. How did you gut the monitor without getting shocked?

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's neat. How did you gut the monitor without getting shocked?
I unplugged it. :)
you still have to be very careful of what you touch. even if its unplugged.
they have some pretty high voltage capacitors in them.
they can discharge even though its not plugged in. so be very careful if you open up a tv or anything similar.

moose

HaploFool

No longer a pet hole
Arachnosupporter
I have to give you points for creativity and originality!

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yikes! That is a good disclaimer moose35!

i had a high voltage capacitor discharge on me when i was working on a motor for a fence. it doesn't feel very good.:mad:
thats a mistake you only make once.

you can ground out capacitors to make them discharge and be safe to work around though.

moose

Jojos

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Where is the rest:confused: I would really like to see the rest of the steps. I'm sure it will look quite original and awesome!

The rest please...:eek:

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yikes! That is a good disclaimer moose35!
That's why I asked. {D I was going to do the same thing with my old monitor but I researched first and realized that's not a very smart thing to do. The discharge can still be held for a good long while after you unplug it, and it's strong enough to knock you out or stop your heart. Not fun.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You know what...maybe this thread should be discontinued? I had no idea. Dumb luck I guess. :confused:

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whats the cardboard suppose to prevent from escaping?

Jojos

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Seriously, I really want to see what it will look like. I have an old computer screen in the garage and I may try something like that if you can show me the rest.

Pleassssseeeeeeee:eek:

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You know what...maybe this thread should be discontinued? I had no idea. Dumb luck I guess. :confused:
nope...continue

i just wanted people to know that just because its unplugged there is still a danger.

they just need to be careful.

moose

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whats the cardboard suppose to prevent from escaping?

Nothing. It's just a false floor. You could just bypass this step and make the floor the monitor. I was making the point that if the false floor is not snug the spider will get underneath the floor.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nope...continue

i just wanted people to know that just because its unplugged there is still a danger.

they just need to be careful.

moose
Maybe you both could tell us what to avoid. I've done this three times and nothing happened. I would really hate for something to happen to someone else.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe you both could tell us what to avoid. I've done this three times and nothing happened. I would really hate for something to happen to someone else.
I would just discourage doing it at all unless someone really knows what they're doing. I have no idea about it personally, so if I ever wanted to gut a CRT monitor, I would want help with it from someone who really knows their stuff.

Jojos

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For my part, I have a cousin who's a computer geek...:} He could do it for me so I would really like to see the end of the project.

Now, that you have told about the danger, people will be careful...:rolleyes: