1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comparison of venom toxicity

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Vinny2915, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Vinny2915

Vinny2915 Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    Hello all, I have recently heard a rumor that generally speaking parabuthus are not nearly as dangerous as Andeoctonus, Tityus, leiurus etc. Is this rumor true? (Obviously there are outliers but I am asking based on an average across the board)

2. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoprince Active Member

CA
    When you talk about danger, you need to take into account the locations where they are found and how often they come into contact with humans. If androctonus lives very close to humans in remote villages away from medical attention, that’s going to increase the danger factor.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

In general no, Parabuthus isn't as dangerous as those other genera (though most Tityus tend not to be lethal), but it's still a genus worth a lot of respect. Deaths have still been documented with them if I remember correctly, so they're certainly still dangerous. And as NYAN said, when looking at it from a danger perspective you have to take into account how far away from proper medical care people are. Tityus stigmurus has caused plenty of deaths, but since it likes living near lots of people it tends to be found in cities, where it's easier to get to a hospital for care.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Vinny2915

Vinny2915 Arachnosquire

By dangerous, I meant venomous. Sorry for the confusion. I understand any scorpion needs respect but I am asking in terms of curiosity not necessarily keeping since I already keep hots.

5. NYAN

CA
    I beleive the LD50 value of leiurus quinquestriatus is the highest. I know certain androctonus species are up there also. I don’t know the details for parabuthus though. To sum it up though, a sting from any of these has the potential to cause medically significant symptoms, pain and possibly death.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. pannaking22

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. NYAN

CA
    I wonder if the name ‘lepturus’ has any relation to its venom. I know ‘urus’ means tail in Latin at least.

8. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Personally I put the whole 'venom potency' issue in a simple (and I know, annoying) way: everything that has the chances to kill you needs to be considered dangerous, even if said chances % of fatalities are lower than other specie/genus etc

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Gekkotan

Gekkotan Arachnosquire

lepturus means "thin tail".

10. pannaking22

@Skitsomursu why the disagree here? Did I miss something with H. lepturus? Always wanting to learn more, so please let me know if I got something wrong!

11. Skitsomursu

Skitsomursu Arachnopeon

Finland
    Oh no! I pressed it by accident, yeah I agree with you! Sorry!!

12. pannaking22

That's alright, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something important!