1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Communal Setups

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by AP34, Dec 14, 2018.

1. AP34

AP34 Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    For a communal setup for a P. imperator colony, I took a 40 gallon aquarium and added a false bottom, divided into two sides converging on a shallow pond (I got the idea from YouTube). Dirt and moss were used for the substrate. I added an assortment of plants I found at a nursery, and put several pieces of cork and a large piece of driftwood for hides. To keep it at low to mid 80s in the winter, I have to use several heating pads. IMG_1869.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Inverts4life1

Inverts4life1 Arachnosquire Active Member

I love the look of it....very excellent!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bob Lee

Bob Lee Arachnoknight Active Member

Looks great, did the scorps move in yet?

• Like Like x 1
  4. AP34

Yes, and they seem to like it so far, but I accidentally collapsed part of the burrow in the far right corner grabbing a cricket, so they're currently re-digging some of it. One even burrowed under the false bottom by the rocks and sand, which was surprising haha. I added more plants and some live moss, hope they propagate well. All I need to do for now is attach the light to the underside of the cabinet overhead with some velcro strips. IMG_1950.jpg

• Love Love x 1
  5. kingofall

kingofall Arachnopeon Active Member

SC
    Woah. I think i'm gonna try this with my AFS (with a few adjustments). That looks really nice.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnobaron Old Timer

Great!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. AP34

48A33CD1-CEFC-4109-809F-DF83D2A21334.jpeg Update

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  8. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnoknight Active Member

UK
    Lovely setup, you can't beat a natural planted setup. You may have problems keeping the Moss alive long-term with the temperature in the mid 80s. Best of luck though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. AP34

Thanks. I have been enjoying it quite a bit. And yes, I actually have had trouble keeping the moss alive. I tried transplanting a few patches of temperate ones, and only survived. I’ve been recently experimenting with a few tropical varieties (unsure of their species) and they seem to be doing fine so far.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnobaron Old Timer

I must say, that looks fantastic! Ohhh, i wish that i was a scorpion and lived there!:angelic:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. kingofall

kingofall Arachnopeon Active Member

SC
    Same here.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

Great looking enclosure.

• Like Like x 1