Communal scorp list help

Y-man

Arachnosquire
IMO, the only common denominator here is: Do what works for you, Believe in what you have experienced. Respect other peoples opinion. You do not need to "agree" or "disagree" because it is all base on what a person sees and have experienced.
+1 for Vixvy

ralliart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Are you new to this hobby or just incredibly misinformed? You're playing the devil's advocate to an issue that has already been solved.

So you have a mean emperor. People do. I had three from different bloodlines in the same 20 gallon for over six months with no fights. And when many people and scientists can attest to this, it probably means theyre communal. Or, they can say "In my care, they put up with each other or when they met, they fought." Enough posts for either side can show that theyre communal or not, even with a straggler that fights with everything. That means theyre communal. Understand?

There's also gonna be one or two that are defensive toward cagemates. Maybe you should give them more hides and food, or just separate them :rolleyes: {D
Yep relatively new. BARELY 5 years. And by the way, most of the time I post based on my OWN EXPERIENCE and not from something I just read somewhere.

@NevularScorpion

I don't have a P. Cavimanus anymore but before I use to keep them in either 5 or 10 gallon aquarium tank with plenty of hides. That gives them enough floor space. imho

@H. laoticus

Right on. It would always be safe to post based on your own experience rather than "he said, she said"

@michiel

I agree with you. Most of the knowledge I've gained in this hobby came from brianS, cacoseraph, Lokal, YOU, Thiscordia. (haven't seen some of the them for awhile though.

out of the blue I'd like to add this.{D

1st: MOST scorps are not safe to be kept in a communal setup when molting

2nd: Liocheles Australisae are so much more nicer compared toV. Spinegerus

3rd: I HATE Tarantulas ;P (severe allergic reaction)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yep relatively new. BARELY 5 years. And by the way, most of the time I post based on my OWN EXPERIENCE and not from something I just read somewhere.

@NevularScorpion

I don't have a P. Cavimanus anymore but before I use to keep them in either 5 or 10 gallon aquarium tank with plenty of hides. That gives them enough floor space. imho

@H. laoticus

Right on. It would always be safe to post based on your own experience rather than "he said, she said"

@michiel

I agree with you. Most of the knowledge I've gained in this hobby came from brianS, cacoseraph, Lokal, YOU, Thiscordia. (haven't seen some of the them for awhile though.

out of the blue I'd like to add this.{D

1st: MOST scorps are not safe to be kept in a communal setup when molting

2nd: Liocheles Australisae are so much more nicer compared toV. Spinegerus

3rd: I HATE Tarantulas ;P (severe allergic reaction)
Hi Ralliart,

I suspect that Vincent (temporarily?) left the hobby. I haven't had a chat with Brian S since a year ago. I hear from other VLpersonell that he is working his ass off and very busy. Cacoseraph is still active here.
Don't know about the rest.

Cheers, Michiel

ralliart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
are l.waigensis communal?
Yes. Like Liocheles Australisae, Waigiensis can be kept in large numbers. I once had a total of about 6pais in 1 shoebox. {D

@Michiel

Thanks buddy. It's nice to see people coming back to the hobby after semi-retiring. :D

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
uroplectes olivaceus can be kept in communal tank. i got 2 living in a hermit crab shell now. they always stick together no matter where they choose the final sleeping place before morning.

flotation

Arachnopeon
This is a really nice thread!

This is the day1 of my P.trans slings and HH slings being communal..:)

I keep HH in groups of 4 and P.trans in groups of 2-3.

All are 2i and kept in a 3x3x3 cage.

I hope this works out! :)

Anyway any idea on hides?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Anyway any idea on hides?
Rocks for the P. trans, Cork bark (curved) for HH would be best.

3x3x3 huh? That's a little tight maybe on a communal. I could be wrong, but I would keep a close eye on them. I would also make sure to have 1 rock per sling plus one in each cage. So if you have 3 slings, have four hides.

I don't think that will be as important for the HH, but It would help with P. trans.

Good luck and keep us updated. :)

flotation

Arachnopeon
Rocks for the P. trans, Cork bark (curved) for HH would be best.

3x3x3 huh? That's a little tight maybe on a communal. I could be wrong, but I would keep a close eye on them. I would also make sure to have 1 rock per sling plus one in each cage. So if you have 3 slings, have four hides.

I don't think that will be as important for the HH, but It would help with P. trans.

Good luck and keep us updated. :)
thanks for the suggesstion!
well i think 3x3x3 is fair enough since they arent that large yet but im actually getting a larger enclosure this week...:)

so far no casualties but i observed that they are more active when with others...hahaha...

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I might be exaggerating but its better safe than sorry. you should put 6 hides for your 3 P trans because they are only known to be communal breeding pair but not as a group. good luck on keeping them keep us posted and post some pics of your set up in this thread :). I want pics of communal scorps in this thread too, so people who are reading this can have and think of ideas about communal.

flotation

Arachnopeon
Thanks!
I actually put a lot of hides..xD
Anyway just transferred all of the "groups" to some 6x8x8 enclosure each...:)
And I got 6 molts today! :D
A group of 4 HHs al molted today and 2 out of the three P.trans in a group molted today!
I hope they dont eat each other..:)

Barracuda

Arachnopeon
---------- Post added 10-30-2014 at 12:38 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
Most likely, no, as from what i've read from other people's experiences, P. Cavimanius are notoriously aggressive to other cagemates. I havent personally had it happen, but i've heard stories. Heck, some pet stores sell them with emperors, all labeled as emperors! So... they can put up with emperors or each other for a while, but its not suggested.
i currently have a Heterometrus Longimanus in communal enclosure like a 2.5gals tank, they've been together since their 4i stages, they'e now in 6i no harm so far to each other,in fact they hide together..some scorp websites also tells H.Longis are communal scorps :)

Last edited:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Paravaejovis (formerly vaejovis) are not truly 'communal', they just prefer small prey. They WILL cannibalize if hungry. Attempts of predation resemble a promenade à deux (courtship dance). In a harsh habitat, with hiding spaces hard to find, you will find them hanging out together simply because they have no choice. Kinda like crickets, which will share a hiding spot, but often do cannibalize each other.

You will have to make sure they're all well fed.. Even 'communal' species will kill each other. Pandinus and heterometrus do occasionally cannibalize each other at times, usually females killing males after repeated attempts to mate.

The only two 'communal' vaejovid genera I can think of in the USA are serradigitus and Uroctonus.

Serradigitus, however, IS one example of a communal vaejovid genus. Uroctonus mordax can be considered 'semi-communal', but will occasionally cannibalize.