communal research

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I don't understand the appeal in keeping Ts in groups wether they are considered "communal" or not. Cost for housing is insignificant next to the price you payed for them.They are after all tarantulas and will tolerate each other in the early stages but things could go south at any given moment. Why risk it?
cause it looks awesome. o_O

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I don't understand the appeal in keeping Ts in groups wether they are considered "communal" or not. Cost for housing is insignificant next to the price you payed for them.They are after all tarantulas and will tolerate each other in the early stages but things could go south at any given moment. Why risk it?
Are you the guy with the single ant farm or a one bee hive? :D

Really though, I have two communals and both have been really fun to keep. They have thrived and I'm planning the next setup so I can let my soon to be adult females raise a second generation in there. It doesn't have to do with the cost of an enclosure or any other keeping necessity. I find it interesting to see how they behave in a communal environment. I agree that most Ts shouldn't be kept communally but the M.balofuri do well in that environment.

If it's not your thing it's all good. I have enjoyed it myself.

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Are you the guy with the single ant farm or a one bee hive? :D

Really though, I have two communals and both have been really fun to keep. They have thrived and I'm planning the next setup so I can let my soon to be adult females raise a second generation in there. It doesn't have to do with the cost of an enclosure or any other keeping necessity. I find it interesting to see how they behave in a communal environment. I agree that most Ts shouldn't be kept communally but the M.balofuri do well in that environment.

If it's not your thing it's all good. I have enjoyed it myself.
Yeah I guess watching a group of Ts move around would be cool. Can your communal Ts often be seen interacting with each other? I just feel that they would naturally distance each other over time and establish their own respective territories, since there would be fierce competition. I wouldn't compare ants and bees to Ts they aren't in the same boat at all, they don't work together or live in socialy ranked colonies, most Ts only interact with each other to breed and avoid all other contact.

Bees and ants naturally prosper in large colonies and they will defend each other and their nests to the death. A spider is more of a loner and often avoids any confrontation, every man for himself. I guess if they are never separated they are less likely to establish their own territory and therefore show less aggressive tendencies towards each other. Still very risky!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I just feel that they would naturally distance each other over time and establish their own respective territories, since there would be fierce competition.
With most species of Ts you would be right. They would not like to share their territories and would be aggressive towards other Ts. You put two of almost any species of Ts in the same enclosure and one will likely kill the other. M.balofuri behave much differently. I've never seen any aggression between them.

I wouldn't compare ants and bees to Ts they aren't in the same boat at all, they don't work together or live in socialy ranked colonies, most Ts only interact with each other to breed and avoid all other contact.
This was a joke. :) Ant and bee colonies are eusocial and interact better socially than most other animal species including humans. So, you are right, they don't compare.

Yeah I guess watching a group of Ts move around would be cool. Can your communal Ts often be seen interacting with each other? A spider is more of a loner and often avoids any confrontation, every man for himself. I guess if they are never separated they are less likely to establish their own territory and therefore show less aggressive tendencies towards each other. Still very risky!
I have two communal setups. The oldest one had 3 in it (I just sent the MM off to breed) and the other has 4. I have tiny solo sling that could have escaped the 4 T communal due to size so I kept it separate.

In both enclosure setups the Ts were given enough hides and space that they could each have their own territory. They grouped in one hide, dug it out together and started setting up a home. They dug to the side of the enclosure and at night you could see them dog piled up together. They webbed out from their home sometime two Ts were even webbing the same plant. I've dropped in large dubias and they all ate from it at the same time. They molt in the burrow with the others there. I've seen no aggression from any of them.

We've had other keepers who have raised multiple generations in the same communal enclosure. Added in Ts from other groups (mostly MM) and they do fine. One member had a MM that was at the end of his life and he couldn't move much. A female killed a roach and left it for him to eat.

There are not many species of Ts I would consider trying communally (maybe just the Neoholothele incei though I'm still on the fence with them) other than the M.balofuri. I and a lot of other keepers have had great long term success keeping this species communally though. Given the results, I think with M.balofuri the risk keeping them communally is pretty small.

It has been very interesting and enjoyable keep them communally.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
With most species of Ts you would be right. They would not like to share their territories and would be aggressive towards other Ts. You put two of almost any species of Ts in the same enclosure and one will likely kill the other. M.balofuri behave much differently. I've never seen any aggression between them.

This was a joke. :) Ant and bee colonies are eusocial and interact better socially than most other animal species including humans. So, you are right, they don't compare.

I have two communal setups. The oldest one had 3 in it (I just sent the MM off to breed) and the other has 4. I have tiny solo sling that could have escaped the 4 T communal due to size so I kept it separate.

In both enclosure setups the Ts were given enough hides and space that they could each have their own territory. They grouped in one hide, dug it out together and started setting up a home. They dug to the side of the enclosure and at night you could see them dog piled up together. They webbed out from their home sometime two Ts were even webbing the same plant. I've dropped in large dubias and they all ate from it at the same time. They molt in the burrow with the others there. I've seen no aggression from any of them.

We've had other keepers who have raised multiple generations in the same communal enclosure. Added in Ts from other groups (mostly MM) and they do fine. One member had a MM that was at the end of his life and he couldn't move much. A female killed a roach and left it for him to eat.

There are not many species of Ts I would consider trying communally (maybe just the Neoholothele incei though I'm still on the fence with them) other than the M.balofuri. I and a lot of other keepers have had great long term success keeping this species communally though. Given the results, I think with M.balofuri the risk keeping them communally is pretty small.

It has been very interesting and enjoyable keep them communally.
Well that's very interesting, did you really witness the female drop food for the male? If so that's remarkable. It does sound more appealing to hear it from you, but I've spoken with some other keepers and they often insist on doing this and it always made me cringe. Seems you've been able to gather a pretty good understanding of this way of doing it. Hope it keeps on going as well as its been going. It would suck to lose a mature M. balfouri. Not a cheap T, if you get chance, mind showing off some pics of their setup I'd love to see how your doing it.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I have a P subfusca LL communal of 5, they've been together since 2nd instar and have been there for almost 2 years now. (Roughly 3.5" or so each) they mostly spend their time together even now in the same large tube, but with some separate offshoots for individuals.
No aggression witnessed and seem to clock together whenever it's not feeding time.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I have a P subfusca LL communal of 5, they've been together since 2nd instar and have been there for almost 2 years now. (Roughly 3.5" or so each) they mostly spend their time together even now in the same large tube, but with some separate offshoots for individuals.
No aggression witnessed and seem to clock together whenever it's not feeding time.
Are you planning on separating them soon?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Well that's very interesting, did you really witness the female drop food for the male?
I didn't, I'll look around and see if I can find the thread the keeper talked about it on. He had been keeping a communal for a pretty long time. Also @Blue Jaye has a massive one with several generations in there.

It does sound more appealing to hear it from you, but I've spoken with some other keepers and they often insist on doing this and it always made me cringe. Seems you've been able to gather a pretty good understanding of this way of doing it. Hope it keeps on going as well as its been going. It would suck to lose a mature M. balfouri. Not a cheap T, if you get chance, mind showing off some pics of their setup I'd love to see how your doing it.
I can understand that. I have 7 Neoholothele incei all separate because I've not wanted to move them in together. People should keep their Ts the way the want. If you're not comfortable keeping a communal there isn't a rule that says you have to.

I'll hunt down some photos later today when I have some more time.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I just wish that i could find M balfouri slings at a decent price. From my observations they are stupid price right now.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I just wish that i could find M balfouri slings at a decent price. From my observations they are stupid price right now.
That depends on what you find them for. They are not the cheapest slings but they are by no means the most expensive one either.

This is a great deal IMO and if I didn't have 7 already I'd pick some up. Great guy to buy from as well.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
1 lnch slings are 75 each up here. Thats a bit rich when you want 6-10 for one set up.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Today in the pet room I prepared my M.balfouri communal for the rehousing I have coming up and figured I'd post an update. It had 3 mature females and 2 mature males together. I was pleased to see they were all still doing good even though the males have been mature for over a year. The solo one is still in it's own enclosure though once it matures I'll likely add it in with the others. I've had great luck keeping this species and it's been pretty fun to watch. I'm pretty stoked to see what they do with the new setup and the driftwood/plants that is going in it.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
An update without photos? You cannot be serious. :p