Communal C. Vittatus Tank

Kjoygray

Arachnopeon
I just wanted to show off my C. Vittatus tank. I have 9 total that I caught in my yard over a few nights.

No cannabilism so far, but I've observed some of the scorpions "flicking" others with the back of their tail (the sting is facing away). Is this something all scorpions do?

Most days though, they share a hide or even just pile on top of each other.

tmp-cam-1794816523.jpg tmp-cam--400144180.jpg tmp-cam--1823502430.jpg

USMuscle9403

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, they shoo each other away with their tails. That's as far as I've seen it go with this species.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Probably fine as is, but if you throw a couple more hiding spots in there they can use those if there's any sort of conflict. Hate to see cannibalism in a nice group like that!

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Nice setup!
As mentioned, add more hides to give 'em a sense of security and helps avoid confrontations. Vertical pieces are a plus, this genus is good at climbing.
I keep 6 C. gracilis in a 10 gallon, always have a few feeders climbing about. Most often 2 or 3 are seen climbing on the cork in the evenings. A large half round cork piece, when lifted, exposes 3 (6i) that are chilling together.
gracilis communal.jpg
In the photo the female, center, I believe to be gravid, is very plump.
Keeping these communal is much easier than separate enclosures and saves space.

Jamie M

Arachnopeon
Thats awsome i wish my backyard had scorpions :( i have to drive 6 hours or so for even the slightest chance of possibly seeing one

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice setup!
As mentioned, add more hides to give 'em a sense of security and helps avoid confrontations. Vertical pieces are a plus, this genus is good at climbing.
I keep 6 C. gracilis in a 10 gallon, always have a few feeders climbing about. Most often 2 or 3 are seen climbing on the cork in the evenings. A large half round cork piece, when lifted, exposes 3 (6i) that are chilling together.
View attachment 253316
In the photo the female, center, I believe to be gravid, is very plump.
Keeping these communal is much easier than separate enclosures and saves space.
Excellent setup. I recently split my community of c. Sculpturatus because i witnessed some cannibalism take place :(. But now i have the 17 split between 2 enclosures so hopefully the 2 populations do a bit better. 17 in a 10 gallon was kind of pushing it anyway id say

Kjoygray

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately this setup is no more, I broke a hole in the tank by accident. Luckily none got away, but they all crawled out one after another. I guess they could feel a difference in air currents? I'm assuming they're too blind to see a hole in glass.

Anyways I have them in a large critter keeper temporarily, which sucks, but I havent noticed any changes in their behavior.

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Unfortunately this setup is no more, I broke a hole in the tank by accident. Luckily none got away, but they all crawled out one after another. I guess they could feel a difference in air currents? I'm assuming they're too blind to see a hole in glass.

Anyways I have them in a large critter keeper temporarily, which sucks, but I havent noticed any changes in their behavior.
Oh well i've broken a few glass enclosures myself. Long as you and the scorps are safe. Kritter keepers are pretty solid depending on the size and number of scorpions.